Fedex Freight - New "Driver"

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by TC722, Aug 6, 2015.

1. TC722

TC722 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I just started working for FedEx Freight this Monday. I was offered a position as a City Driver working nights. So far its been training, which I understand goes on for a few weeks, videos, etc. After speaking to other employees, I've been told not to expect too much driving time as a night city driver. More dock work. I keep being told Road Driver is the way to go. Is road driver a night position also? When can you switch and what is the process to do so?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Unless you get city days, plan on sharpening your forklift skills.

4. Elendil

Elendil Heavy Load Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    Been with FXF 3 years. In my opinion, Road Driver is the way to go.

The biggest advantage to the City Driver position is working days, and it sounds like you don't even have that. Road Drivers tend to make a lot more money than city drivers. Most road driver work is done at night as well, but there are many terminals with daytime linehaul runs. As a new driver don't expect to be driving days unless you are on the extra board. Day runs are gobbled up by the drivers with the most seniority.

To transfer from city to road here are a few requirements:

1. There actually has to be a road position available
    2. You have to be on the job 6 months. However, if there is an open position and they do not have any other internal candidates they will allow someone with these than 6 months to transfer before they hire someone from the outside.
    3. You cannot be on corrective action.(write up, probation, etc.)

Even as a road driver you will likely have to work the dock at the terminal you are hauling to depending on the mileage you are driving.

If you are driving under 200 miles one way you can expect to spend some time on a forklift. If may be lass than an hour or it could be four.

You can still make excellent money with a short run and dock work. I just came a bid where I drove 74 miles each way and worked the dock at the terminal I drove to. I still averaged $1400/wk gross pay.

I would take a road position over city everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

If you tell me what terminal you are out of, I might be able to give you further insight.

Mike2633 and darthanubis Thank this.
  5. DSH69

DSH69 Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Elendil, do the City drivers also get paid per mile plus hourly?

6. Elendil

Elendil Heavy Load Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    No. Straight hourly.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. sdsurfer77

sdsurfer77 Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Wow, $1400 gross, im a fed ex ground driver otr at 40cpm and have only been taking home around 600 weekly. One week took home 300 due to breakdown minus my hotel as they did not cover it and took 200 that week with my class a cdl

8. DSH69

DSH69 Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Apply at Freight. My terminal alone is hiring six drivers

sdsurfer77 Thanks this.
  9. sdsurfer77

Jun 4, 2016
    Which terminal location are you at? Is freight basically the same as hauling ground?

10. DSH69

DSH69 Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Essentially. Especially as a new guy there will be dock work involved in addition to driving. Road drivers less so than City drivers. At least until you get some seniority under your belt.

http://fedexfreight.jobs

11. sdsurfer77

Jun 4, 2016
    That means i have to go back for my hazmat endorsement again. I let it go because you have to keep redoing the process every 2 years to renew. Its like its not a renewal. Im not sure if that hassle is worth the extra money but will consider it for sure if it can get me $1200 after taxes or possibly more.

Are these positions through contractors also or specifically hired on by Fed Ex directly?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.