Fedex Freight vs Old D

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Wvuguy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If this is your flavor, I’d call it a safe bet that FedEx has no long peddle runs in your neck of the woods.

For example, our barn is across the street from one of theirs, yet they service the area I go to from a closer terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Old Dominion, hands down! Wayyyyy too much micromanaging at FedEx. Worked for FedEx awhile, glad I left. Don't miss it one bit.

Wvuguy, darthanubis and JReding Thank this.
  4. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    If you want to run city go to FXF. If you want road go to either or. Both pay good, just find out who can get you started on a better run.

I’m a FXF road driver and I don’t see all this micromanaging everyone talks about. Maybe because I’m out of a small end of line terminal. I can say this is my 3rd LTL job and the grass in definetly greener over at FXF. Only way I’d leave if I were to get out of trucking all together.

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

Wvuguy and darthanubis Thank this.
  5. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    For what it's worth, I'll reiterate that micromanaging can really vary from terminal to terminal. Look at what @Digman943 said. If I wasn't at ODFL, I'd be looking at FXF.

I know guys at my barn that came from FXF did complain about FXF micro-management, but honestly I could say that we are micro-managed to a degree at ODFL too. And anytime someone leaves (or gets fired) from a company and comes to another company, they're not going to be saying how great it was to work at the prior company.

As for micro-management at ODFL, one example would be ROI scores (rpms, overspeed, idle). We are called into the office for 'counseling' if we continue to score poorly on the ROI. They keep a sheet with drivers' names showing their scores. Too some, that would be major micro-management. It's all what you're willing to accept as doing your job as they see fit. Their company, their equipment, they're the ones paying really good wages. It's all about perspective. Do your job, and you'll be left alone. That could probably be applied to any company. If you're working for a company, be a company man.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  6. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    How long was the hiring process from offer letter to start date for you?

7. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    About 5 weeks from initial interview to corporate approval.

8. lagging

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    ###### I guess I’ll be jobless for about another month. I put in my two weeks notice the day before od called me in for an interview.

9. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Ouch. OD has one of the lengthiest hiring processes I've ever experienced, although mine was drawn out by the holidays. I submitted my application early November of 2014, and it was mid February before I was in a truck. But I didn't give my notice until OD corporate approved me, and I worked the full two weeks before I switched.

darthanubis, MACK E-6 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  10. lagging

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    Yikes!! Well I had a start date at another ltl company. Then next day od called and I hear nothing but great things at od plus I had the choice of being either p&d or linehaul at the other place I would come in to whatever job they assigned me and they have lifetime bids. Or move to an open bid after a year

darthanubis Thanks this.
  11. Streetroddreams

Streetroddreams Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2017
    North Central Missouri
    Amen and FM brother penguin.
    Pass the holy water I feel like being saved

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.