Feedback requested on new commercial waste service

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by LoganK, Apr 4, 2017.

1. LoganK

LoganK Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2017
    My business partner and I are starting a pilot program in the late fall with a large west coast city to test a new commercial waste and recycling service. We’re looking for feedback to see if we’re building a useful service .

We’ve built a weigh-in-motion scale system that reports and stores each pickup’s weight. The system adds the GPS coordinates to that weight data and sends it over the Internet to the hauler. We store this data for haulers who sell this to their customers. Their customers log into a website we run to track how much waste they generate and can also see if they're generating more waste than other customers like them (for example, other grocery stores in the area that are also customers of the same hauler).

Here are our questions:
    1. Do haulers want or need better waste data? (how much waste or exact location)
    2. Do commercial customers care about having accurate waste data on a pickup by pickup basis? Or is it just a nice to have and we’re wasting our time building this kind of system?
    Thanks for your responses,
    Logan

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85098)][/COLOR]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Do you have any waste removal experience? No offense but it doesn't sound like it. Hundreds of employees throw trash away all day, someone says its full. The call, its dumped. Repeat. Keep it cheap enough and you keep the account. Thats it. No one to my knowledge is tracking accurate weight at the moment of pick up. If its grocery stores, their dumpsters are a 1 turn deal. You get your weight at the transfer station. If its general commercial (2/4/6/8 yd rollers) they pay for volume not weight.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Hi Logan.

I think most customers are simply looking for a waste removal company who will provide timely service at competitive rates without causing any liability.

Companies that prepare foodstuffs (bakeries, for example) are already tracking the quantity of waste output, so getting this data from their hauler might be redundant, unless they wish to monitor the density of their waste stream in addition to the volume of waste generated. OTOH, if waste removal and/or disposal in your target market is rated based on weight rather than volume, this data could become invaluable to generators and haulers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.