Felon in florida

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Solidm73, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Solidm73

Solidm73 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Anyone know companies that will hire rso in florida. I do not have my cdl, but I know I'm allowed to do this because the sheriff's office said 5 others in this county have permission and are otr. So, besides all the nonsense that will be said, does anyone have any ideas on companies I can start with before I get my own truck and lease on. I have a family and they deserve to be taken care just like everyone elses, that's why I am entering this field. Thank you in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where do you live in Florida?
    Can you attend a private or community college cdl program?
    I answered your question on July 7th on another thread.
    Florida Beauty Express
    Vero Logistics
    Roadtex Transportation

rabbiporkchop and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Solidm73

Solidm73 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Central florida, close to Daytona. I was hoping to get on with a training company but none will touch me.

5. Solidm73

Solidm73 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2018
    There is a school in Sanford and one in Orlando. I would just go get my own truck and Authority but money and experience is the issues with that. I'm trying to do this right.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    WIOA Program in Florida will probably pay for cdl school; free to you.
    You will need pre-hire letters before approval and here's some companies that will probably give you a pre-hire letter. The pre-hire letters don't obligate you to work for the company, they just qualify you for the WIOA Program.
    Roadtex Transportation
    Florida Beauty Express
    Vero Logistics
    Carolina Cargo

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Solidm73 Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't buy a truck yet; insurance alone will be 10's of thousands of dollars a year because you don't have experience yet.
    Apply for one of the schools you mentioned in Sanford and Orlando and in the meantime apply to the companies that have been suggested.
    Carolina Cargo hired one ex-con from Orlando area that was just released after 20 years for murder. You'll make a lot more money with the other companies that have been suggested.

8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Carolina cargo comes to mind, but last I heard they are team only now and pay is moderate.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

First off Im going to sit you down with respect and hand you coffee bought and paid for as you like it. You might not be a coffee drinker but this is just a virtual situation here. A pretend.

Im going to say this once.

Everything related to CDL, Trucking, Security and all the things one has to go through to get, keep and add endorsements, some of which are very strong going up to be tested by TSA/Homeland security......

is. not. NONSENSE.

If you think as part of your work ethic that you can slide into trucking based on a attitude that everything is NONSENSE then stay the hell away. Why? Because it is a total traversty to take all the things that is part of the Industry, all the regulations and things that protect the Country and the Drivers etc and the Public is. not. nonsense.

Now whatever the original charges you were convicted on. Those will matter if you stole high value things, committed domestic violence or other violent crimes and certain actions. Those will exclude you from trucking. But many times in this industry it is common for someone to come out of Jail, learn the drive a truck and build a new life doing it. It is still very possible for a felon to do this.

But YOU, sir, with all due respect... STOP thinking all of this is NONSENSE. I suspect you can benefit from some down time away from any authroity or any Law in peace and quiet to decompress and decide what you would like to build a future on. If you commit to trucking there are many things you will be required to do. And none of it is nonsense.

With that said.

There are thousands of things that ARE NONSENSE in this industry because the laws etc are passed by people who never touched a big truck ever. And don't understand the industry.

=)

10. R0M3R0

R0M3R0 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2018
    This is all very true but I have a strong suspicion the gentleman who posed the question and is now looking to walk the straight and narrow for his family was referring to the “nonsense” he might have anticipated in the form of folks giving him a hard time versus takin his inquiry seriously. Just my lowly opinion though so I could be wrong.

x1Heavy and homeskillet Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just a few short years ago you would have been VERY lucky to find a OTR job being supervised by a PO. I say that because you used the word permission. Today it is my understanding some carriers will let you do this. However understand you need both the OK from your court AND the company you plan to work for. I wish you good luck hopefully @Chinatown can scare up something for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.