Felons and hazmat please help

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by ry231980, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ry231980

ry231980 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Okay I'm new to this forum. I started browsing a few days ago and I have seen some helpful advice.

Anyways, im 33 yrs old. I am a convicted felon kind of. I got a suspended imposition of sentence for class b robbery in second degree in missouri in 2002. Which means I pleaded guilty but my recird shows no conviction because it was my first offense and last. I was told my lawyer that I could do anything but government or law enforcement jobs. I was young and dumb. (I know a lot of you dont like thieves and I dont either and im an ex one so please dont critisize me for my past actions because I know I did was wrong and I paid my debt to society). Once a thief always a thief doesnt really apply to me because I have matured and walked a real straight line. Also I will say that I lost my gun rights

Now for my questions. I live in Indiana now. I recently got offered a great job working for a small oil company being a matienance man. However the stipulations is I have to get a cdl with a hazmat endorsement. On my application it didnt ask me anything bout a criminal history so I didnt volunteer it. However the background check for the hazmat scares me since its regulated by the government. Would I be eligible for the hazmat endorsement? Second of all would my employer if I take the job find out about my record? And third of all is it true that insurance rates are higher for companies who have felons as truck drivers.?

Chinatown and mje Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    First, off, if your employer is not stupid, they WILL find out. Most employers do a background check and if they are smart a search on this forum. Secondly, ask your state DMV about hazmat, but you will probably be rejected with no reason. Your better off getting a non hazmat driving job. You def wont be able to get twic. third, most big companies are self insured, but if they pay for insurance ot depends on the carrier. If you lie on an application and you get in an accident, you could be 100% liable financially for damaged because yoy gave incorrect info to insurance company.

ry231980 and mje Thank this.
  4. ry231980

ry231980 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Well what the tsa interim disqualifiers for felons with time limits

5. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    I would apply for the job..let them do the background check..worst that happens, your not eligible for hire.

You will know one way or the other..If it comes back negative, find out how to get your information changed..If its a mistake within the judicial system, they will fix it. If the information is correct, unfortunately, it's a burden you must bare..

Good luck, and congrats on turning your life around..We have ALL made mistakes.

ry231980 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I checked the qualifications for hazmat endorsement on Google, but couldn't get the list of disqualifying crimes to open. I doubt if what you did will disqualify you, but maybe you can check that one on Google. They look for crimes that would be a threat to national security.

Your other question; many trucking companies are self-insured or self-insured up to a certain amount, so that gives them leeway on hiring. There are plenty of trucking companies that hire felons, so being an OTR driver is no problem. Your felony is getting old so that's a plus, and if you served time that still won't prevent you from a driving job if you attend a CDL school.

ry231980 Thanks this.
  7. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

how would doing a search on this forum help an employer??? how in the world would they even know who to look for???

ethos, HotH2o, Nexwinner and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    when i got my haz endorsement on my driver license. the clerk said what they were basically looking for was any relations with terrorists.

but if you have a criminal history. to which it sounds like you do. you might check into expungement. can't vouch for all states. but in utah. any time you get arrested it goes on your record.

it doesn't cost much. it does take up a little of your time. but your life will be so much better with a clean slate. it's well worth looking into.

i've delivered 2 military loads. and when i inquired about my history. they said whatever i did as a kid. is no longer on record.
    i have to do the whole background check just to get a pass to pick up and deliver on each base.

i had a pot possession. 1 dui. and one false dui.

i never thought it would be a big deal to have it expunged. but 10 years later. i'm very glad i did it. cuz it's been a very big deal now.

9. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I agree with Jaguar. I remember years ago I was going to apply to Schneider and when I called up, first thing you heard was a recording of disqualifiers. One was something like couldn't have a violent felony conviction in the last 7 years. If someone can be on the TSA terrorist watch list, yet legally go out and buy a 50 cal, I don't think trucking companies are going to be that strict on a decade old conviction.

10. whitey

whitey Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2008
    blue ball pa
    Yea I hear ya

11. vavega

vavega Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    maple shade, nj
    http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/disqualifiers

based on what you've posted you should be good, but even if they do kick it back, you can apply for a waiver or appeal.

even though it will cost you some time and money i would apply for it now and get it over with just in case you do need to get a waiver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.