FFE School/Linehaul vs other options

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Burgermeister1836, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Burgermeister1836

Burgermeister1836 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2023
    East Texas
    Hello folks, just walked into the forum. I'm gonna be moving from Colorado back home to Texas in June and am looking at a few paid training programs from different companies. Currently my lead candidate is FFE, and it seems like they specialize in reefer ltl and especially linehaul - which I know is rare for fresh CDL grads to get into. I'm wanting to put in some serious mileage right off the rip so it seems good from what I've read. I'm also considering both their sister company KLLM as well as Millis - I'm open to OTR, Linehaul, dry/reefer, hell even tanker (I'm gonna load up on endorsements). Single, 27, so don't need tons of hometime to start off - i want to show dispatch that I can run hard. Is there anything important that I'm missing?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Dairy Transport
    CDL school; meals, lodging, transportation provided plus hourly pay while in WDT cdl school.
    CDL school is in Texas.
    -
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Burgermeister1836 Thanks this.
  4. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    There are many companies that will take you right out of CDL school and put you in the training program. FFE is one of them. With them you will be running reefer all over the country. Reefer is not a bad way to start off and has its pros and cons. Biggest thing is you will get the miles, but you will also have times where you will sit. You will find this at grocery warehouses for the most part. They will give you a 8am appt time, but you will be there for hours getting unloaded. Some are faster than others. Meat plants are horrible for making you wait up to a few days to get a load.

Like I said, it has its ups and downs. I did reefer for 3 years.

5. Burgermeister1836

Apr 4, 2023
    East Texas
    Bryan is actually quite close to where I'm gonna be living, the closest school or terminal I've seen so far. I'll definitely look further into this.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Just to clarify KLLM is not a Sister Company
    They own FFE outright weather anyone admits it or not....and KLLM is majority owned now by Southern Tire Mart
    Shouldn’t affect you at all
    Just something to know and understand...that FFE is a shadow of the carrier they once were

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, I'd go with KLLM over FFE.

8. northstarfire0693

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Just so I understand correctly, Do you have a CDL yet ?

9. Burgermeister1836

Apr 4, 2023
    East Texas
    Not at this time, no, hence why I need a company that trains. I won't even be able to get my permit until I move back to Texas in June, because my DL is still Texas even though I'm in Colorado. (No point in changing it over if I'm just gonna move right back)

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Missing anything? :confused:

No, not yet.....

Trucking is an "adults only" world.

Those who lack a serious work ethic....or who need constant feedback/hand-holding....need not apply.

Note that.....if current trends continue...or stay the same....that general freight volumes are tightening up.

Thus....as a beginning driver, you will likely find it harder to get a job than say....12-15 months ago (as of the time of this writing).

One good way to side-step this problem: see post #2 above (i.e., go tanker). Stay with them for at least a year (and longer is of course, better). If you can show future employers 2+ years of successful smooth-bore tanker duty, then you can almost take your pick after that....with great-paying truck-driving jobs.

Also: when you get your CDL--go ahead, and get ALL the CDL endorsements--tanker, hazmat....and the doubles/triples. For the suggestion in post #2 above--you will need at the very least the tanker endorsement...and of course they won't let you work for them without it.

Another advantage in running/working with WDT--you very likely will not run any up in the northeastern US. Most of your runs/lanes/stops will instead be in the midwest, or the southwest. :thumbup:

Nice! :-D

-- Lual

11. northstarfire0693

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    No big deal. Get your permit. FFE and other companies will send you to school to get your CDL. Then once finished, you will be out with a trainer for 6-8 weeks. Then you get your own truck. The only drawback with having any company sending you through CDL school is that you will be under contract with them for a year. ( on average). If you leave the company before the contract is up, you will be required to pay a portion of the cost back.

Many guys have gone that route to get into trucking. Nothing wrong with it. Finish your training, stick with them for about 2 years. With a good driving record you can move on to better companies from there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.