1. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On

You don’t want to run team. Money is less important than piece of mind and you will need your sleep

lilnae Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can a new driver start out as solo at FFE; I mean after the trainer is through with the new driver?
    KLLM lets new grads go solo don't they?

4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    FFE you can definitely go solo straight after training if that's what you want. Pretty sure KLLM is the same way. When I finished up with my 6 weeks I went back into the office and they asked me if I wanted to go solo. I said I wasn't sure. Then they said, well let us know what you want by the end of the day.

I know from orientation they tend to talk up KLLM, because everyone wants FFE. I stuck to my guns because I was set on pulling reefers, but a lot of people switched over to KLLM from FFE after the sweet talking. They were told they might have to wait a week for an FFE trainer. After all that was over with, most of the FFE people were off with trainers and a lot of the KLLM people were still waiting. lol. I was the last name on the list and they flew to meet with mine by early the next week.

Unfortunately the guy that went KLLM that I spoke with in training often disappear and I couldn't get his number. So I can't say for certain about KLLM. But I haven't heard any complaints. And my driving instructors that retired with them said you can make a great living if you go out and get it... and not just sit around a wait for stuff to go your way.

Dapro, lilnae and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It took me about 2 months to learn to sleep in a moving a moving truck. The fact I wasn't in control of the truck was the farthest thing from my mind.. it was the truck bouncing all around that bugged me. The chances of you dying in a truck are small enough its not even worth worrying about. As far as injuries go, mostly likely it will be from falling out of your truck trying to exit. Two driving instructors had that happen to them, and my grandpa has a scar on his hip from falling out of his truck.. after safely parking.

Dapro Thanks this.
  6. Dapro

Dapro Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Do all their trucks have apu's? I'm guessing only solo trucks do?

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Their Freightliners don't have APUs. My codriver just idles when he plugs in his game system.

8. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I was with them 2008-2010. Decent enough place to learn. Hated their opti-idle but that’s probably changed. Lots of beef loads out of Colorado when I was there. Lots of drops at Hunts Point in the Bronx too so be prepared for traffic. Did quite a bit of LTL even though I was a 48 driver.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  9. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Hi, I was curious....
    - Do they train in manuals ?
    - Do they have driver facing cams ?
    -what's the starting pay cpm after their school ?

10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    They train in manual though most of their fleet is now automatic.

The Academy training trucks had driver-facing cams, probably mostly for training quality assurance.. Making sure you don't get yelled at too much, etc. Have not been in a truck working with one.

I started at 0.40 cpm.

With FFE most of the money is running teams driving around the clock. If you solo its take home about 600-800 a week. Teaming is 1200-1600 give or take depending on what division you choose to work in. Linehaul is the easiest and on the lower end of the scale. Plasma is a dedicated account that probably pays the best.

They do hair follicle drug test now.

kwan2323 and BlueThunderr Thank this.
  11. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Wow, only 600-800 wk/ solo ? Somewhere I read on here that a solo driver was making $1500/wk...that's a long way off from that ! I was thinking reefer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.