Fifth wheel questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zinita17601, Nov 12, 2015.

1. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Im planning a little project for thanksgiving week,im trying to reposition my fifth wheel 2 feet back (is slid all the way back and trailer king ping right on center of drives).
    The track is bolted to the frame with 12 bolts so im gonna need to drill new holes.the reason for this modification is to have room for a storage box and more room for front overhang.im asking for your input:
    *is this legal?:i can still be able to slide the fifth forward for weight distribution.
    *is this safe?:will drilling new holes weaken the frame?
    *how heavy is the fifth wheel?:im doing this at home and dont have any equipment to lift it.
    *where can i buy quality drill bits to do the job?
    Truck is a 2006 kw t2k,trailer is 2015 dorsey spread axle 53 stepdeck.
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    JMO, if you move it that far and you won't like the ride.

Legal? Not sure. Was always told it was illegal to drill or weld a frame unless you're certified.
    Safe? Not if your king pin falls on or behind the center of the rear axle.
    Weaker? Without a doubt. Never heard of holes making something stronger.
    Heavy? You better have some help.

4. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    As
    i've seen car haulers with king pin over the rear axle pulling a 7 car trailers.
    I still be able to slide the fifth wheel forward back to the original position.i have my freind to help but im not sure if its heavy even for two guys.i agree with you about weaker frame.thank you for the reply

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I'd look into adding a track to the rear or replacing yours with the longer one ...so you have more travel ( like the heavy haulers have)

P.S. Less hassle to put a box or two on the trailer.....

zinita17601 and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Never leave a hole empty.

Put bolts in any unused holes to help keep the integrity.

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    That's what I say too^

truckon, zinita17601 and burnsey Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Completely legal, I've moved the fifth wheel back on almost every truck I've owned. 2 feet is a bit much tho. You may have problems with weight. Completely safe to drill or weld to a frame rail. Not safe to drill or weld to the frame flange. That's the top and bottom part of the C channel. Make sure you measure right, while it's safe to drill holes in a frame, you don't want more than you need. Or to close together. And as mentioned above, don't leave holes empty. Put a bolt in them. The fifth wheel and slide assembly is freaking heavy. But a cheap come a long and a stout tree will move it.

Any quality hardware store or machine shop will have good drill bits. And you're gonna want Atleast a 3/4 horsepower half inch drill for this. Not a job for a cheap 3/8ths drill. And keep oiling that bit as you drill.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    BeN DaViS, MJ1657, truckon and 2 others Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Drilling holes in a frame is a big job. I switched 5th wheels on my '85 359, and many of the holes didn't line up ( naturally) Can't tell you how many drill bits I went through, that's some tough metal. They make a tool that clamps to the frame with a drill ( kind of like a sideways drill press), that makes it a lot easier. And yes, those 5th wheels weigh a ton. Best to have a skid steer or backhoe ready, as I couldn't do it myself. Make sure it's worth what you want to do before doing it.

BeN DaViS and zinita17601 Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That's called a mag drill. I'd love to have one but can't find a decent quality one for less than about 750 bucks.

truckon and 201 Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Oh one last thing. For what it's worth, the mechanics that come by our yard have to move back almost every fifth wheel of guys signing on and getting a step deck. can't believe how many guys buy a truck with no understanding of how valuable a sliding fifth wheel is.

Dominick253, truckon and zinita17601 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.