Figuring WLL and trailer securement points

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by randomname, Jul 6, 2019.

1. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    So what’s your opinion. He backed his up with facts. The same is expected from you.

cke, jamespmack, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I don’t have an opinion. I chain to the outside rail all the time. I am confident that the chain is the weak point as my outer rail has a half inch flange. If I was to think on the subject I don’t see why you would cut the tie down rating in half. As direct and indirect have more to do with movement and not chain breakage.

cke, snowman_w900, jamespmack and 3 others Thank this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    That covers none of the points we were discussing but alright.

cke and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  5. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I think it does, but whatever. You asked my opinion I gave it. I think maybe you didn’t understand I was joking with a friend of mine.

cke, Oxbow and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    This needs to stop. You keep writing in the present tense as though you were still active and current. You're not and you haven't been for a long time. The majority of your knowledge and experience is no longer relevant to trucking as it is now.

Most of us understand that you tend to exaggerate and tell tall tales about things that never really happened. You see what you're doing as entertainment. Nobody else does. Those of us who know enough to ignore your falsehoods won't be harmed by them.

But, when you tell your lies...and they are lies.. and the rookies take your fantasies as gospel and try to do the things you claim to do, they can get hurt. They can get worse than hurt. You'd be responsible for that and you'd deserve to be.
    I'm sure you don't want that.

cke, BigCam9670, snowman_w900 and 11 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll keep that in mind, god knows there are times past and times present are two completely different times.

This year I have looked into reupping to CDL with my State and its no problem to do so with very little under our laws. But I am working on the final surgery sequences. I am spooling up in today's trucking as rapidly as I can. IF at all possible I will be engaging in a form of trucking relevant to CDL A.

However until that day comes, I must bide by time and make careful medical repairs where necessary to restore the body to the point of going to the Physical doctor to determine where I am against the Long Form. We will see what is possible.

In addition, my state has Four Tiers of Trucking. It can be anything from running hay heavy farm to market or whatever it may be.

I am aware that you REO do have issues with my writing, and keep in mind that American Sign Language is my first language and master in my head. It is easier to construct a situation and use English writing to describe it. That is the basis of all my communication.

When you bring Time, Position, antagonist and protagnonists and other issues that make either a first person real experience in this blessed industry or a occasional foray into the Lunch Counter (Usually marked by /Lunch Counter) or any number of other words at the slash.

There is a disclaimer on my profile to anyone interested to know that I have indeed been out of the truck a long time. However you will never get the truck out of me whatever it might be.

I have been in some cases very careful with say medical questions or physical problems exhibited by say Waa Waa, a new visitor to the board. Usually if something is a issue it will come out in a day or three as it did there. As you are well aware.

As far as the medication and so on, that goes with the surgeries and I have disposed of 4 so far pernamently. Into my medical record not to use in me again. Eventually the current medicine will stop as well. That should happen in about a year.

If I am here? Great. IF not? That's fine. People come and go. We take our days and use it as much as we have to because we may not have tomorrow.

That's all for now. You can take it for what it is. It is not the first time you directly raised some issues with me. Possibly our communication styles or whatever it may be is not very compatible with each other. However I don't have any issues and never will. I am what I am, you can take it or leave it as it will.

8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    It has nothing to do with your communication style, you just make stuff up.

cke, BigCam9670, snowman_w900 and 6 others Thank this.
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I try to satisfy the WLL requirements with direct tie downs on the body of the machine, and do not consider the required chaining of dozers, rippers, buckets etc. as contributing to the aggregate WLL requirements. I do this because it is logical to me, not because of the rules. Chaining dozers and rippers that are permanently attached to the machine, i.e. no quick couplers, strikes me as silly but I do that to satisfy the rules.

You bring up a good question though; does the securement of buckets, dozers, etc. add to the WLL aggregate requirements?

Admittedly I do not worry about the rules as much as I should. Mainly because since I started hauling equipment in 1980 I have never had any law enforcement officer ever question my securement, or even mention it. Is this because it looks good to them at first glance and they don't feel the need to analyze it? Perhaps, or maybe I have just been lucky. The folks at the weigh stations that I encounter are probably more lax than others around the country. They certainly aren't out to get you.

cke, snowman_w900, jamespmack and 4 others Thank this.
  10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Ok I’m with you on the securement theory, I do the same. I want to immobilize the machine then I worry about the rest of the crap. My point the OP was if you feel the machine is secure and you’re technically a little short on securement the indirect over the stick or forks could put you over the requisite amount.

Yes those extra tiedowns on auxiliary items count towards the aggregate WLL.

cke, snowman_w900, jamespmack and 2 others Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    24 chains and 14 straps man i have heard some #### but that one is up there. I would love to see what that even looks like lol

cke, snowman_w900, homeskillet and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.