filling out a log book

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by omaharj, Oct 24, 2013.

1. omaharj

omaharj Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Omaha
    A fellow at work was chastised for using the abbreviation "St." for Saint as in St. Joseph,MO. I believe you can't use KC for Kansas City,but I thought St. was allowed. The driver-manager made him correct his log and initial it. Hey,if the boss wants it done that way,that's what I'll do.....but really? I told the guy I thought what he did was legal,but was it worth arguing over? Definitely not.
    Anyway,we go through Iowa a lot and I've seen some ticky-tack tickets given from misinformed Iowa State Troopers,so,anybody able to lay out the FMCSA rule on this? Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for it? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=395.8

All it says is that the name of the town must be recorded at the time of each duty status change, followed by the state abbreviation. It says nothing as to if the town must be completely spelled out or not. I would imagine it is allowed. Can someone on E-log chime in and say what the E-log does, seeing as it just changes your location automatically for you? This must be a company policy. I would see no reason to chastise a driver for this .... what happens if you forget to add up your mileage for one day? Out comes the belt?

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I have logged it as St Joseph and also St Louis,never been questioned over it.Criminetly if the law is that bad then its about revenue. for that piticular state that gives you a violation.Anyone with half a brain knows where you were at when you logged St Joseph.

ShootThis Thanks this.
  5. ShootThis

ShootThis Medium Load Member

Apparently his DM is misinformed.St. is acceptable for both St. Joseph and St. Louis.It is how the state and federal government both recognize it.Even the cities own websites spell that way.He needs to look at a map before he critiques drivers log books.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It sounds like the safety person is throwing their authority around as no auditor is going to give St. an error.

Let's try to look at it from the safety persons view that thinks about this stuff while they are sleeping.

The regulation goes to the trouble of saying to use the state abbreviation but it doesn't say that for the city or town.

Now that you mention this I think I got chewed out for using OKC, OK, which is perfectly fine for the locals but several states away they might not know what that is. Missouri is full of St.'s To someone far away it might be interpreted as "Street". Not everyone is geographically savvy.

To be honest with you I had no clue what Ste. Genevieve, MO was for a long time until I looked it up. It's a french version, Sainte.

It's petty stuff but do what they say to make them happy. Then when the safety guy lays in bed he'll think... he did what I said and smile and go to sleep! :)

ShootThis Thanks this.
  7. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    St. prefix for cities beginning with "Saint" has always been commonly acceptable.
    Nothing in DOT regulations contradicts that.
    The DM is a certified bonehead throwing his "misinformed" authority around.
    Personally, I wouldn't have changed it/initialed it, but then again I'm always a hard case when dealing with idiots.

ShootThis and skootertrashr6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.