Final Rule on Hand-Held Cell Phone use

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camerabrat, Nov 23, 2011.

1. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    What about the CB y isn't that banned or your radios. How about that Thermos of coffee or 44oz cola or that pipe or cigarette such blasphemy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nobrand

nobrand Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vernal UT.
    I dony usua;;y say to much on this forum unless its to do with my company inside, but the other day was reading this article in the paper about cell phone ban and as i began my trip down the interstate and keeping a keen eye on not only where i was going but also where everybody around me was going, i seen people in 4 wheelers talkn on cell phone eating reading ya reading and one lady was putting make up on in seeing all this i had to ask myself why am i responsible for those 4 wheeler actions meaning the ones that were talking on phone were not paying attention that there was a 80000 lb rig next to them or behind them, and the lady putting make up on well it appeared she didnt even have her hands on the wheel, guess may be i didnt really see those things.

jrjsi Thanks this.
  4. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Hands free or Bluetooth should be fine. Personally I can't drive and talk with the phone to my ear. Why I have 2 headsets! Lol

5. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    What about drivers messin with laptops and even faxes?

6. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Alberta already has it as a law.

Distracted Driving Legislation (Bill 16)

Distracted Driving Law in Effect
    [​IMG]Highlights:

• Restricts drivers from:
      • using hand-held cell phones
      • texting or e-mailing
      • using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
      • entering information on GPS units
      • reading printed materials in the vehicle
      • writing, printing or sketching, and
      • personal grooming
    • Complements the current driving without due care and attention legislation
    • Applies to all vehicles as defined by the Traffic Safety Act, including bicycles
    • Applies to all roads in both urban and rural areas of the province
    • The fine for this new offence is $172
    The most frequently asked question regarding the new law is whether pets are specifically addressed by the law. Here's the answer! In situations where the driver becomes too involved with their pet, police could reasonably argue that the distraction is comparable to the specifically banned activities of reading, writing and grooming and lay a charge.

Also, existing legislation - Traffic Safety Act 115(2)(i) - allows police to charge a driver who permits anything, including a pet, to occupy the front seat of the vehicle such that it interferes with the driver's access to the vehicle controls and the safe operation of the vehicle. Further, Traffic Safety Act 115(2)(j) - allows police to charge a driver who permits anything, including a pet, to cause any obstruction to the driver's clear vision in any direction. We encourage the continued use of these existing provisions.

If a driver violates a new distracted driving provision and an existing provision in the Traffic Safety Act it would be up to the discretion of the officer as to if one or both charges would apply.

For the safety of both pets and road users, it is best if pets are secured in an appropriate pet carrier.

7. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

Because in private vehicles it would be a "States-Rights" issue,you are governed by commercial driving laws,,each state imposes its own set rules concerning Private Motor Vehicles not subject to Federal motor carrier laws,I think its up to 13 states now(not sure on exact count) that ban hand held devices in cars

8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Georgia has "No Texting" laws and I see more people texting now more than before the law.

Ray LaHood needs to get off his high horse, he thinks he's out to save the world. He needs to ride with a trucker and see how many 4 wheelers are weaving, sitting at green lights,(YES GREEN Lights) texting, yapping on their phones and not paying attention.

Time for OOIDA to file another lawsuit against the FMCSA.

9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Shifting and turning the wheel could both be distracting....Be careful drivers.....Driving is a dangerous job.....

10. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I guess you must have missed the big :biggrin_2559: at the end of my post, huh?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.