Final Rule on Hand-Held Cell Phone use

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camerabrat, Nov 23, 2011.

1. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011

I know of NO STATES that "ban hand held devices in cars".

There may be 13 that ban the USE of hand held devices by the driver in a car, but I doubt it extends to their complete ban from the car or to their use by passengers in a car.

The language/words used (or left out) matters greatly when discussing law.

Gears Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I have a good example of the wording of laws. The cell phone law that the city of El Paso passed last year does not exempt hands free devices. That wasn't what was sold to us, the citizens of El Paso, we were told by the city council that hands free devices were ok. As it turns out, the way the law is worded, the use of cell phones while operating a motor vehicle is a violation if the officer feels that it's use is distracting. That has let to people being stopped for merely having a headset on, especially a hard wired one. One gentleman was stopped and as it turned out, he wasn't using a cellphone, it was an ipod.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Not to mention the drivers that occupy 8 lanes of traffic so they can get around a corner while holding the phone and at a speed so they won't have to downshift.

The cops aren't going to enforce this any more than they enforce speeding. You can speed all day every day and never get a ticket, unless you speed far over the limit or do something else to attract attention.

If you don't see your primary duty as a human as to be on the phone giving or receiving a running commentary on someone's life you don't need to be on the phone much anyway. A professional uses his tools at the appropriate time, if he has time. In flying the saying is :aviate, navigate, and communicate." Transferred to driving that would be "keep it between the lines, get on the right road, and talk on the phone when necessary after the first 2 are taken care of.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    City laws can be a pain. City of Chicago has the hand held ban as well.

6. Mountainman444

Mountainman444 Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2008
    North GA
    DING DING DING. We have a winner.

We all know the car that weaves over at us is "usually" driven by someone on a cell phone or texting. I've seen more cars drift into the other lane (by a bunch) while texting than any other reason. BUT, the FMCSA has no jurisdiction over the 4 wheelers. Only over us.

As to the no texting laws for 4 wheelers, it has only made them more dangerous. Now they're holding the phones it their laps to text so their eyes are off the road longer.

7. sweetdaddy915

sweetdaddy915 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    in front of u going slow
    You a member / why knot

8. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
  9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    In all honesty, I think the lack of a hands free exemption was an oversight by our city council who has been trying hard to turn El Paso into California. The councilwoman who drafted the law is an idiot to begin with.

This is the same city council who said the law prohibiting trucks from the left lane would ease congestion. We are still waiting for that to happen.

10. Bigfoot62

Bigfoot62 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Louisiana
    Hands-free cell phone device. $19.95 + S/H. No credit cards please. I only accept cash. PM me with your order. :biggrin_25523:

[​IMG]

old-school and airforcetoo Thank this.
  11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    If I remember right, it has been a couple of years, the left lane is the only safe lane there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.