Final Rule on Hand-Held Cell Phone use

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camerabrat, Nov 23, 2011.

1. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Rockingham, NC
    When that happens, people will refuse to buy the phone just because of that. When I left Schneider, they were in the talks of putting cell phone jammers on their trucks. You couldnt use the phone once the truck reached 15 mph. hands free didnt matter...I dont feel as if the hands free devices do any good or not..sure, you can keep two hands on the wheel, but part of your attention is still somewhere else than on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    The same could be said for changing stations on the am/fm radio. Distracted driving is distracted driving. You can be distracted simply by going over and over in your mind about an argument you had with your significant other while driving down the road. They need to invent some sort of straight jacket that only allows you to work the vehicle controls then a mind controller that blots out any thoughts other than driving. If they could do it they would although it would be more cost effective to have a drone truck. Just eliminate the human factor entirely.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  4. jrjsi

jrjsi Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2011
    holland, mi
    Yeah but this is the stuff that all 4-wheelers do.....not so much truckers... but there are a few

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Why does anyone think this rule will be enforced even as much as speeding laws? Does any truck driver go even one day without exceeding the posted speed limit by 1 mph? Do you get a speeding ticket every day?

The endless self-pity and conspiracy thinking is the primary reason I avoid listening to overnight truck driving radio any more. Well, that and the "snoring" all of the callers to overnight radio do when they inhale.

If the cops were just out to write tickets you would never see a cop on the road that wasn't engaged in a traffic stop. Every car traveling across 8 states in the left lane only would be ticketed and state would be full of cash from ticket revenue. Is that what you see on the road?

Just because the usual suspects are hyperventilating about yet another end of the world item shouldn't make anyone else panic, unless you think being an adult means having a panic attack when anyone else has one. Be an adult, be responsible, and always doubt when someone is telling you what you want to hear. That is the easiest way to trick someone.

ECU51 Thanks this.
  6. DedHedEd

DedHedEd Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2010
    TulsaTown, OK.
    I drive for Crete. They sent out a msg. the other day reminding drivers that 'company policy prohibits the use of mobile devices (including hands-free) while driving. ..."will face Federal Civil Penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification from operating a Comm. Mot. Vehicle for multiple offenses"

Yeah, I'd say that was one helluva Revenue Generating Law, if they decide to enforce it.

Nahh,,,they won't be that unfair to us, will they?? I mean, $2,750 seems unfair. Maybe if you were involved in a wreck, due specifically because of cellphone distraction, I might agree to the $2,750.

Otherwise, no. $100 is ok. No more.
    :biggrin_2554:

7. cj8

cj8 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2006
    So since we are banning anything that could be distracting and turning tuck drivers into robots, lets also ban these items too please...

Training other drivers, team driving, talking, smoking, singing, eating radios, cbs, computers...
    after all we can't stay laser focused with these things distracting us now can we?

Geeesh, what a joke this law is. I am a PROFESSIONAL and if I deem it safe to talk on the phone while I'm driving I should have that choice because this is AMERICA! Don't blame me because some other jerk couldn't handle doing it! Pretty soon there will be so many stupid laws like this one you wont be able to do anything without breaking some dumb ### law!

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Hey, if I wanna eat my radio, ain't no law gonna stop me!

cj8 and airforcetoo Thank this.
  9. cj8

cj8 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2006
    :biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.