Finally hit the dock!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, Aug 14, 2018.

1. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    It's only a "fixed object" if someone's head is still in it. I forget the rule number. But it's in the book.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Crap??? I just run my trailer tires towards the freakin dock door.. too hard to figure all that out! Lol: but, I’m a girl: I do it the girlie way: as easy as possible! Lol

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Thanks this.
  4. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    Hitting the wide open docks with no lines can be a pain in the arse at times, just slow down as if you were in a situation where the docks were tight with trailers next to you.... looking a your tandems instead of the end of the trailer helps for when to start cranking the wheel to get back under it.
    I had a situation where it was wide open and no lines and the building in front of me was at angle to the building I was docking at..... talk about being all jacked up, I pulled up 4 times trying to get straight and each time I got out I was like in the same position as previously LOL

Trucker61016 and laaylor Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This straight enough?

TravR1 Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You did great. I stumbled on that temporary landmark trick when I delivered to a new warehouse. Tons of empty doors, new pavement, no oil stains, no tire marks, etc. I tried & tried, it was ugly. Then I dropped one of my gloves kinda close to the door and the other glove where the future painted line would end beside the tractor. That gives a good straight line to judge where position the trailer. it really can be harder to park a trailer with nothing near you than in a crowded set of dock doors.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Yeah, that's the idea. It makes your trailer point towards the hole.

In the past I would start the turn all straight then run out of room on one side or the other. The set up method allows me to mostly straight line back while my trailer falls off (to borrow Lepton's term) towards the hole. That way I got space to get under it without hitting something.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    Yeah, I know. I was being a smart Alec because of how complicated some of these backing theories can get (yours wasn’t). Some of the ways they teach people to back a truck confuses me more than the actual backing lol.

I’m just glad I had a handle on how to back a truck before I started reading them. My head spins when I read some of them. Ha

InTooDeep, Lepton1 and TravR1 Thank this.
  9. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Or hit your fairing like western Express and swift tend to do. I see brand new cascadias with crumpled or missing Fairings.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  10. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I'd like to buy you a beer because you dont do all those overcomplicated backing techniques those cdl mills try and teach.

laaylor Thanks this.
  11. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Everyone should learn to back up using a spread axle trailer without tearing up the tires.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.