Finally started school!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by WesternPlains, Nov 6, 2017.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Oh My Gawdy! You sure burst my bubble! I'm crushed! You ruined my whole day! :laughing-guffaw:
    Seriously..... I think it's hilarious.
    Until tomorrow... I can once again say: "Quid Pro Quo, Clarise." :love7:

G13Tomcat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have given one truck a name once long ago and it was a good truck. The name referenced a horse which was a yearling in our farm paddock with about 20 yearlings. This one was the boss lady of the entire paddock when it's feeding time, she is first to the bucket before you get to the herd with the feed. However this one in particular had a colt boyfriend who was dead last in everything. A odd pair. So, one to feed first before all the other fillies and colts and the second would wait to be fed dead last with a special bucket for him. everyone else got a pile about 10 yard apart so that there is no biting and kicking at meal time.

I think you will do well, but I await a time in which you might have to wrestle with a problem. If you dont run into something you cannot solve in school, you will do it on Cabbage in a winter ice storm at night when half the lights are out on your company tractor trailer due to a electrical problem....

G13Tomcat and WesternPlains Thank this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Everytime I read your posts, I see Jodie Foster and Hannibal Lecter .... ie: Clarise, hahaha!
    *Just don't try to 'hurt' Clarise, and you'll be fine~! They always DID have a bond, ya know!*

5. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    We all face the inevitable out here, some day, some way, some how. I think he'll do fine, as well; IMHO this is a PERFECT time to start.

W/P .... keep a directory of some experienced drivers (hands, as we older guys often say,) at the ready. . . some things that may seem monumental to you, because you've not 'been there,' are actually easily worked through, unbeknownst to you of course, understandably.

Keep us posted; best wishes!

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Would be nice to work up a list of good experienced drivers I can call. I know about problems. Drove class B for 7 years. Sometimes... It would be nice to avoid calling dispatcher for a mechanic to show up or....

Today in school.... wasn't.... I need to start calling this thread; "As The Wheels Turn". ... :cool:
    I showed up 50 minutes early to class. Supposed to be there at 12. Guy walked out and said I was supposed to be there at 8:30.... Teacher got frustrated with everyone failing to shift, Especially downshift. He took the other group back to the school. Started up the simulator. Called the rest of us in.
    Dummy me didn't hear my new cell phone ring on the messages. I walked into class. Told him this was a bad blow it. Being reachable is an important part of this job and I know it. I'm gonna have to work with my new smart phone. Get it down right. So I can be reached. Also gave him my home number.
    Teacher said it's not bad. I'm the only one who can shift. So I didn't need to be there. But I could play with the simulator if I want? I declined.
    I sat through one video we needed to see. Then all of us left.
    I do like that times are different and changing all the time for class. That is the way I expect it to be on the road. One of the smaller reasons I'm going to trucking.

I'm getting things ready for going on the road. Got a new battery for my laptop. Got a Opia 2 dashcam. I definitely want one of those. With what people are pulling these days. I need to learn my smart phone better too... Doh! .... heck....it's an iPhone 8+.
    Anyway... This one video motivated me to go ahead and get the dash cam. I'm gonna play with it in my car. So when I put it in the truck. I'll know what I'm doing. No guessing or anything.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Hay, @WesternPlains ... good for you on the dashcam; I've got a similar one. Yep, sure need one, nowadays. Sad, but true. That's crappy about the time jack they did on you; at least you didn't miss much.
    I just got a 'smart phone' recently myself, and can't even use it at all *barely* let alone in the truck; bossman buys us some really nice 'flip fones' and pays for 'em, it's his mandate, hahaha! Oh well, is what it is; small concession. Blue tooth equipped, of course.
    I inherited a smart phone (some old LG something) and can't even figure out how to get pix from there to here; need a lesson from the teenagers soon, hahaha!
    Not sure if you mentioned it, and not that it even matters; just wondering what you were wanting to haul and where you were thinking about going, for a career. I'm sure we are on different time zones, but I drive nights anyway, pulling tanks, so when you get 'out there,' I'd be happy to bounce you my number!

Keep your chin up, man. At least you CAN shift; many struggle with that more than you'd think...

Still following, and best of luck to ya, man!
    Tomcat

8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    On the hauling. It's not so much to me what I want to haul. It's the job of getting out there and driving. The independence. No more daily grind.
    I would like everything out there. As long as it's stable and pays.
    Flatbed sounds interesting. How they heck to get some of that stuff up on there intrigues me.
    Tanker is very interesting to me. Would like it alot.
    Reefer or dry van. That's ok. I'm happy to do it. All the backing into tight spots sounds like fun. But not crazy about having to deal with shippers and receivers. I'm thinking about getting an old ships bell. Put a sign on it that says: Ring for service. So I can sleep while I'm waiting.

I have several very good offers. I've got doors held open. Waiting for me to graduate. Just applied to one that stands above the others for me personally. I'll see on that. I think it's a slim chance for me.

Need4Speed and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Well... We finished week two.
    Finally worked with the backing teacher. Yup... got two teachers. This guy is different. We're learning alot. The couple guys who don't know a standard shift at all. This other teacher gave them a viewpoint on the clutch that helped them a bunch. I think it's more a matter of two different ways of thinking of it, than anything. They're both doing much better.
    At one point. One of the other guys got stuck with his foot on the gas pedal, the clutch not right, the truck rocking back and forth. He said the movement of the truck kept pushing the gas pedal into his foot. He was stuck like that. Until the teacher told him to take his foot off the gas and push the clutch in all the way. I was sitting in the back. Thinking: "I hope nobody thinks the other guy back here and I are doing anything" ... with the truck rocking violently back and forth.
    We got down to start thinking subjectively about what all we're doing in the backing/parallel parking training. Understand there is a point to the exact placement, movements we're doing.
    It was a very productive week.
    Do want to say we have a special lot. Built just for this. It stays pretty busy. With us training. The DOT tester testing trucks and school buses all the time. They get much use out of that lot.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    That, right there, is funny as YKW... wow, I'll have to try that just for S's and G's at some point, LoL~! The rocking protocol, I mean.

Be safe, congrats on your progress, and Happy Thanksgiving! Not driving tonight, but still... sleep eludes me at my usual 'road' time!

Catch you cats tomorrow; so much to do (and say!) << haha!!
    Be safe, R.

Tom

11. GetonwithiT

GetonwithiT Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017

Thats awesome. I just started working this Tuesday for a company not too far from my house actually. Its intermodal work and at the moment I'm in a new training program with the company that lasts some weeks. It's basically riding shotgun learning the routes and huge number of places that we go in and out of all day. After that I'll be on probation for a couple months driving on my own, so some important months coming up for me.

G13Tomcat and WesternPlains Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.