Finding a good setup

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by gt4jk, Mar 28, 2020.

1. gt4jk

gt4jk Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Update:

replaced FireStick Antenna with FireStick 2

replaced stud with a different one.

removed my red ground wire, replaced it with a braided ground strap

now I am getting SWR readings
    1.5~1.7 on 19
    1.7 on 40
    1.4 on 1

Is this good enough or should I investigate to see if I can get lower readings?

Attached Files:

2. BigJim63

BigJim63 Light Load Member

May 1, 2014
    Evansville In.
    You won't gain anything by trying to get swr lower. Leave it alone.

202, Meteorgray and gt4jk Thank this.
  3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    If you could find a shorter braided strap and do the same but on one hinge(looks like your connected to two hinges)it would be better...
    On that ant stud did you notice a lil hollowed out sppt in tje bolt head???₩

I would take a small (1/4")strand of copper wire(use a small strand from last gnd wire you had)ball it up and see if you can fill that holllow..Then put your coax on..It will make a better connection cause the ctr pin of coax will make a better connection with stud..
    Im ot a fan of that bracket(just personal taste)cause i dont think it gets its teeth sunk in that metal of your part that screws in the door..Again a better connection(less resistence)..When your happy with ant set up get some coax tape and cover anywhere where water can get such as between stud and bracket,where coax connects to bottom of stud and where coax goes into the pl259....

Those #'s aint bad but im a bit more fussy and would want lower but untill you get an analyzer on it we dont know for sure how good it really is..

4. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Try adjusting the antenna?

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Jdchet...Adjusting based on posted #'s will not do squat..
    With someone who has an analyzer and or a multi and can use them and can make suggestions for better set up and then do a lil adjusting...
    Its not all about "just" a good swr....
    There is resistence(r) and resonance (x)involved...
    Think of your signal leaveing the radio as a door....The more open the door is the easier the flow from radio to ant and out...Lets just assume you have alot of resistence then swr may still be the same but radio has to work harder to do less gettin signal to trans....So if ant is a decient ant for the trk/car you use it on is good,rf gnd is good,placement is good,coax was properly routed with a good soldering of the pl259 end was done then lets say the door is wide open..

Resonance(x)....This is another important measurement(analyzer req)..Ill use a reference i made before....
    On the older ignition cars you could adjust the distributor by hand to get it running better(tuning via swr)...Now take same car you just tuned and get a timeing light on it to finess that tune(resonance)....
    The less work the radio has to do to get the signal out to ant and based on ant tune it offers better performance tx wise..A better signal out means you get better range and likely a cleaner sound from that signal.....
    Its possible to get all the #'s posted before down lower which as i said above allows radio to work less,produce less heat and last longer with better tx/rec..

Haveing the tools and a lil book time,help from guys here that know a boat load more than me is the key...If your halpy with what you have rite now then great...
    For me..I just want that fully opened door and great sound..Again its the lil bit of perfectionest in me..Not everyone strives for the same be it less or more..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    From the recent posts, adding a ground wire to the door from the antenna mount and there is a change in the swr means there is no real rf ground and the system is operating in a common mode current which makes the ground of the coax act like the other half of the antenna.

So suggestion is to add more ground (braided is best, solid is good to show improvement) to the system, from the radio out to the cab, from the antenna into the cab, once there is a good indication of the system working right, then tweet it.

By the way the size of the antenna doesn't matter yet.

rabbiporkchop and gt4jk Thank this.
  7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Ridgeline...Thats NOT what she says..lol

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It wasn't nessasarry to do so. Ridgeline is going off the effect, or side-effect.

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    My sarcasim seems to have been missed

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Screenshot_20200824-164228.png

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.