Finding Yourself

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zoltan1a, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I am sure it has been covered before; however, why do most turn to trucking when a life change is needed? When I see a truck traveling down the road I think of freedom and lots of pondering time. I see an opportunity to do some soul searching. How far off base am I and has anyone found themselves traveling our highways?

ac120 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Don't use the GPS it will give you the wrong coordinates.

I came to trucking for 2 reasons hated my previous jobs (well burned out and hated the change in philosophies), and also because it is in the blood.

Red Hot Mess and Zoltan1a Thank this.
  4. Zoltan1a

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I hate that I hate my full time job with benefits. I should be thankful, but I hate going everyday

KansasWhirl Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I think it's a mindset. Most realize you don't need much of an education and see all the hoopla about driver shortages and think, why not.

6. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    I got into trucking cause I've always wanted to for some reason. 1 way or another I've always been around trucks love the smell of diesel! I tried other things but nothing provided what I needed. I was a certified welder for a few yrs but that is a bs trade around home. So I risked it all and started turning miles dispite my dad trying to talk me out of it. Knowing what hed went thru in 30 yrs. When I came home the 1st time and showed him my truck, it was the 2nd time that I ever remember him sayin he was proud of me. I always knew it but for the old fart to actually say it....

7. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Nice pic. You're not off-base at all -- I did. There's lots of time to soul-search, but I don't think people go into trucking specifically to find themselves (it happens on the road, sure, but if it's going to happen, it can happen anywhere); it's probably an economic decision for most.

Zoltan1a Thanks this.
  8. Zoltan1a

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would think it would be not for economic reasons, due to the large expense of training and the probability of failure appears to be significant. That is a lot of money to have to pay back.

9. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    By economic reasons I meant simply that most people have to work, and for many trucking appears to be an easy-entry meal ticket. It occasionally turns out to be more than just a job.

I agree. There's other posters here who can better address this. Some carriers provide training.

Zoltan1a Thanks this.
  10. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Freedom is a perception.

Trucking is free and gives you time to ponder much the same way a jail inmate is free and has time to ponder. You can feel as free as you want to, after you've jumped through hoops, played Simple Simon and smiled for the cameras. At any moment, without notice, The State can interrupt your mental vacation for a rude return trip to reality.

11. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I just thought of it as parallel universes. I visited theirs once in a while. I never invited them into mine. :biggrin_25519:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.