Finding Yourself

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zoltan1a, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas
    For me it was due to a few reasons:

1. Money, the oil fields are busy now.
    2. Change of pace, I wasn't happy at my previous job.
    3. A few of my close friends (also O/O's) told me it's hard work and it's not for everybody. That made me want to do it and succeed at this career even more.

If you're not happy with your current career then it's time to move on to something new. I don't care how much money I make, if I'm not happy and it's making my life miserable, it's not worth the money.

Life is way too short to be unhappy.

bentstrider83 and Zoltan1a Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas

Good deal, good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Zoltan1a Thanks this.
  4. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks! It is what I have been struggling with this whole year

Motownfire Thanks this.
  5. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I was one of those unfortunate enough to get suckered into the recruiter lies of making money quick and all the other mess.
    Just turned 21 and was getting tired of living at moms house, wanted to get on my feet and do things properly for once.
    After getting trained by a company and finding out how life was like on the road for real, I knew that I had let emotions get the best of me and was now stuck with a debt load that wouldn't go away over night.
    That said, I accumulated experience here and there.
    It's been eight years and I'm still determined to get out on my own and get this book closed once and for all.
    As for "finding myself", I've come to find out that I didn't necessarily have to be on the road all the time to feel a little bit better.
    Traveling through and spending time in places like Denver, Albuquerque, and Tucson made me realize that there are better places to live than anywhere CA.
    So if trucking has given me anything, it's given me a better idea of where I would like to start life anew.

6. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV

I think this would have occurred with any career choice. When I went to school to work on an ambulance I thought it was exactly what I wanted to do with my life. As the time passes the job becomes part of life and the room for growth becomes limited and it is time to move on. I have done the same process with my recreation jobs and now with teaching. Once a person plateaus in a career and is unable to set new goals for oneself the love for it will fade away. This may not be the case for everyone, but for a person who desires to achieve various forms of success, the desire for change will be frequent.

hup Thanks this.
  7. icefisher47

icefisher47 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Orange, Massachusetts
    I've been away from driving for about 7 yrs and working to get back into it. I worked on a ambulance and there is really no sign of advancement. I enjoy the time to think and to be by myself.

8. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    ac120 Thanks this.
  9. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Guilty. :biggrin_25523: Thank you.

10. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    And thank you, Zoltan.

Zoltan1a Thanks this.
  11. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Enjoyed it thoroughly and thought it was very well written. Nice job.

ac120 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.