Fine for dpf delete

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Titan trans, Jul 11, 2014.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    IF DPF was installed on that motor you must use it as well all other emission components..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    That is not what you said.
    You said Navistar was fined because they didn't use DEF.
    They weren't because there is no rule which forces you to use DEF.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York

I think most new trucks have DEF/DPF issues because they idle a lot or run inside cities in stop and go traffic.
    When I just bought my truck and worked my first week I had a reset in Jacksonville and it was very hot outside and I idled for about 6-8 hours straight and up popped the def light and a check engine light. I jumped on the highway for 15 mins and it all cleared.
    I don't idle more than 30 minutes any more and had no issues since. I'm at 60k miles now. I also don't use the DEF at the pump. I buy DEF by the crate for $7 for 2.5 gallons a piece and carry what I need.
    Every person I speak to that had emission systems break down usually has about 50% idle time on their vehicle.

I'm planning on a generator and roof A/C system for this summer so I wont idle. When its cold out I can idle for 10-15 mins and get the cab uncomfortably hot.

crocky Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Where are you getting DEF that cheap from?

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Exactly. Emission standards are set and its up to the manufacturer to determine how they want to meet them. The EPA don't give a rat's rear end if they build an engine that meets emission targets without using DEF or a DPF.

daf105paccar, Lite bug and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  7. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I order a whole skid wholesale through someone I know that manages a gas station. I buy 40 at a time every 2 months

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah 100% the DPF stuff is usually issues from idling but over time they also do break. When I was driving semi's I had 3 different trucks 2 brand new 1 with 250k and I never had any DPF issues but we also had APU's on our trucks. Meanwhile I see guys who have problems are usually idling but also something the systems do go bad.. on a Cascadia it's something like $25k to replace..

The problem for us HS guys though is we don't have easy option for AC units. So you have to build some contraption and use a generator which almost no one ever does so instead they idle..

btw since you are doing your yourself, on amazon they have some cheap Chinese diesel heaters you can get for under $200 bucks. I've seen a lot of guys reviewing them and guys doing the vandwelling low them.. just a tip.

Myself I'm planning a full sleeper build with generator, ac, heater on my next truck, but it will be some time probably not until next winter before I'd build the sleeper.

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah but that's all irrelevant because no one is making a non DPF engine so you have to run the emissions system on the truck you get.. It appears so far no one is capable of making a engine pass the emission regulations with out it..

The worst is Cali because they are saying you have to upfit the truck to that standard even if it didn't come with it under their carb rules once that goes to effect..

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    For on road diesel - yes.

I had an opportunity to crawl up on a new 797F CAT a year ago. SCR only, no DPF. I know its apples to oranges but there are exceptions to the rule.

Now this may be inaccurate but I want to say International tried to avoid using DEF by turning the EGR way up to reduce the NOx, then catching all the extra particulates in the DPF.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Yeah, I read somewhere that CAT or someone was trying to develop a new engine that didn't require the DPF system.. What gets me though is the EPA rule even off road vehicles, including race, tractor pull whatever are required now to leave all emission systems on the diesel engines.. Meanwhile NASCAR or gas engines do not have that same standard..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.