Fine Tune prices?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by throttle325, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Very good post. Thanks for your honesty.

wolverine11 and Windmill Hill Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I suppose one could always add a linear amplifier for that.

4. Zonie

Zonie Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Yeah, the counterfeit chips are a problem. This has mostly been eliminated by better testing, but these brokers are getting smarter. They have chips that will pass the usual curve trace testing by giving the expected output for known tests, but the industry is fighting back by implementing better, more in-depth functional testing of the chips.

I'm guessing you work for that company that has a logo shaped like one of the US states. I'm in the same industry...

5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Is it necessary to tune a radio to have crystal clear audio ? Dont most radios brand new out of the box have clear transmit audio? I currently swap back and forth between a cobra 29 and Bearcat 980 and have only had audio adjusted to 100% modulation and they are both crystal clear, and I agree with your assesment that most cb'ers pay for a tune to boost wattage and are not interested in a clean signal, they would rather sound like Charlie Browns teacher. I have heard Mark several times during periods of skip conditions and he sounds top shelf but I have also heard Cobra 29's and BC 980's that sound just as good, and during most his videos he will show a radio on the scope and spectrum analyzer that was sent to him that another Tech messed up and then he will show same radio with a much improved signal after his handy work, I would like to see a stock radio's signal and then show what improvement was made to it that makes his tune necessary, maybe he has posted such video and I just didnt veiw it, dont really have the patience to veiw many of his videos, there isnt enough hours in the day. Not trying to start WWIII just wondering if the money spent is really justified, the only way to find out would be to own one of his radios but I dont do the facebook thing, maybe some day I will find a driver out here that is selling one.

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

As far as I am concerned,you are totally correct about new radios having clean audio. It’s the cheap microphones like the ca-73 that cobra uses, that makes the audio sound mushy or Basey etc. I do bump up the power to the legal 4 watts, and the modulation to 100% on my CB radios. I don’t see the benefit of rebuilding the circuits to try to make the radio do more than what it was meant to do in the first place.

As far as those little tiny spurs you see on a spectrum analyzer in the videos, it isn’t enough to hurt a thing. As long as you’re not bleeding on another channel, the human ear isn’t going to detect that spur.

It’s been a great selling point, and lots of dollars have been wasted to have it supposedly tune perfectly, which is really silly (to me) since the radio is used on the CB band. I would rather spend the extra money on a good quality antenna system Of course this is just my opinion.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  7. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I recall viewing a video that posted by Dave White where he showed a stock 980 on a spectru
    Failed to mentioned both the 980 and 29 also have carrier adjusted to 4 watts, as your radios do, so they both have a deadkey of 4 and pep to 16, out of the box they were both 3 watt carrier pep to 10 watts, thats why at minimum I feel it is justified to at least pay for transmitter alignment, and with the 980 the ssb wattage was low too and had that adjusted to 12 watts.

slim6596 Thanks this.
  8. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Looks like the rest of my post was cutoff, I was say that the signal looked good stock.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Not if you're happy with 300hz-3000hz
    Yes they do within 300hz-3000hz.
    Google "forry wrong number"..
    There's so much more to the human voice that you'd be missing out on though.
    Unless you plan on using an amplifier down the road and then it becomes a big thing.
    Dave doesn't own a spectrum analyzer unless he recently bought one and even if he had one, he wouldn't know what to do with it.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  10. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Must of been video of 980 on a scope, I stand corrected.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    He does have an oscilloscope which he purchased recently. He knows how to make one adjustment (amc).....
    He knows just enough to put on a good show.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.