Fine Tune prices?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by throttle325, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    74 miles ... bullsh*****

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Careful you may get booted for dissing and the great one.

Of course they’re not using REAL CB radios, they are using 50 to 60 Watt export radios on side band which gives them the edge. Makes a big difference.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    On 38 LSB mobile to mobile in real time with all the silence included, hence the 1 hour and 29 minute run time. It's well documented.
    In fact, one of the vehicles involved, was a Freightliner Cascadia with a 1 hour antenna installation.
    Going from 4 watts to 20 doesn't make much difference. The drastic improvement is all the receiver modifications at both sides of the conversation which made the distance possible.
    What's your point? 30 minutes of silence were probably cut out. It has no relevance on the voices coming through my speaker. Would you prefer to listen to 30 minutes of silence? There's probably 50 minutes of silence in that 74 mile video which was done in real time with no editing for your listening pleasure.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes, but I wasn’t talking about AM. Going from a 12 watt SSB to a 60 watt SSB radio definitely makes a difference.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You probably have more experience in that area. I never made ssb comparisons.

7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Still bullsh****

Videos can be faked.

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That's true. Especially if the person making the video has zero integrity. Precisely why I showed my GPS coordinates showing I was stationary the entire time as Tom was rolling westbound.

9. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    We've used stock Cobra 25s and 29 radios for years in our dump trucks and lowboy with 4ft fiberglass antennas.
    I have never ever seen them get out or transmit mobile to mobile more than 2 to 3 miles on a good day.
    I might hear someone who's had a power mod added to their radio 5 miles away but could never talk back that far.

I didn't know how important SWR is until about 2 years ago though so more than likely I never had a CB doing all it could do. If an antenna got broke we just replaced it knowing nothing of SWR. Now I have my own meter.

After moving my 2ft Firestick antenna to the top mirror bracket on my dump truck yesterday morning I was resetting the SWR and while I was doing it my built in SWR meter went off the scale high.
    Luckily my Stryker has a high SWR alarm and shuts down transmit immediately within microseconds if it sees 2 or higher on its SWR meter.

So I did without a radio most of the day yesterday. I keep a Cobra19 backup radio with me at all times and I did finally plug it up before the end of the day. Having a CB is so vital to communicating with rock and asphalt plants when getting loaded its just hard to be without one. At that time I thought something was wrong internally with my Stryker but thankfully it was just the coax.

Come to find out it had 100% continuity between center pin and grounding shield.
    I cut the connector off where it bends into the CB and the short to ground went away. So I'm gonna order some PL-259 solder on Connectors and fix it.

To think I could have burned up the finals in my Stryker yesterday had it not been for that built in SWR safety feature. I've never seen an antenna completely fail and short out so quickly.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Timin770 Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You know rabbi, it is the same ole same old that's been going on for years, just this time people put too much credence into videos. Every time I watch these videos, I remain skepticle because I've seen a lot of things in my life from people who had impeachable integrity that turned out to be fake.

I can fake everything without a lot of effort, from the gps coordinates (even with your unit) to the signal degradation and fading to the compression sounds of traveling. I can make it seem someone talked to someone 100 miles straight and having you believe it because it is soooooo easy to do.

Unless there is a impartial third party involved, i call it bullsh***.

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Which is precisely why you were invited but you chose not to attend. Apparently nobody wanted their view of reality shattered since nobody took us up on the invitation to be an impartial witness. At least we did our due diligence by putting the invitation out there.

Until you figure out the source of your noise and lack of gain, that's probably all you're going to see. Like Ridgeline says, you can work the world on a couple watts if you know what you're doing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.