Fingers crossed

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by bad-luck, Jun 25, 2020.

1. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Fingers crossed? When has it ever benefited the single truck owner operator out here when the government has stepped in?

You know the famous saying right?

Careful what you wish for!!!

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Folks say the brokers are manipulating the rates to their favor. What if the shippers are paying cheap for loads going to the spot market? Not all shippers are a Proctor and Gamble.....

5. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    . If we get to see the rate after we've done a load exactly what they are getting paid for it you don't think that will be a benefit? We all know the brokers are making upwards of 40%. But maybe the people that Haul cheap freight when they know exactly what the brokers getting paid for it won't haul it anymore. People that all cheap freight are the problem

6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The most frightening words to hear. "Hi. We're from the government. We're here to help."

Badmon, Long FLD, O.Henry and 5 others Thank this.
  7. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    All shippers want to get the product moved for the cheapest rate. But when people Haul cheap freight loads and get it moved that's part of the problem. Because when a broker can't get a load moved cheap they have to go back to the shipper and tell Them they cannot get it moved for that rate, then the rate goes up.

8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    What's a cheap rate in your mind?

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  9. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well I don't know what kind of work you do so I'll try and give you an example. I run reefer, And I was running Florida for a while. In the beginning of produce season. Produce is extremely cheap. I was offered a load out of Miami to Philly for a $1000, which is dirt cheap. So I deadhead to Georgia and got a load going to New Jersey for $2000. So not only was I making more money but I was making more money for loaded miles. Produce is extremely perishable, it gets picked and washed and loaded on a truck the same day in most cases. So if drivers refuse to haul it cheap, it will sit on the dock and rot... Then they will pay a reasonable rate

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Yeah but FL has always been notoriously cheap on the way out. My ex bro-n-law basically offered enough to keep it from being a loss deadhead.

11. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    True but I was giving an example. But what you are referring to with your brother in law is just to pay for fuel. Brokers always use that. "It will pay for your fuel" Well we as business owners are here to make money to support our families. The broker wouldn't go to work, if he was only making enough to cover his fuel expense to and from work. So why should we.... Sometimes you just have to leave the freight on the dock. In this instance I did. New England is known for being cheap to get out of. So when running there you need to get at least $4 a mile, this way even when you deadhead out, you are still at $2 a mile. Anyway I delivered a load in Massachusetts, called about a load on the board. Boston to Baltimore, they offered $450. So I deadheaded to New Jersey got a load to Baltimore for $700, and this was a Friday

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.