Fingers crossed

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by bad-luck, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Loads that have to go, will pay more. Other stuff, has a window, sometimes a week or more, no hurry. All depends on what’s available, and the amount of Trucks available. Supply and Demand. That’s all that’s needed. Rates get cheap enough, Carriers close the doors, Rates go up. Carriers expand, and New ones jump in, more Competition, Rates go down. It never ends. The Strong Survive. Basic Capitalism Free Market Principles. The failures, insure the Survival of the System. Makes it more Efficient.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Im sorry but the brokers are not making anywhere close to the 40% u claim they are making ... sure maybe on a load every once in awhile... but not a consistent basis.. U can look at the financials of all the public big name brokers and see what their really making

JimmyTwoTimes Thanks this.
  4. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Just so we are all on the same page here, this is absolute crazy talk.

I work for a midsized brokerage (we run 1200ish full TL a week and 1000ish LTL), in my 7 years here we never come even close to 40% margins, our yearly average is about 12%, and the return on that after fixed costs comes out to about 2.5% return.

The hilarity in all of this back and forth is that carriers want to "pay" brokers for the services they provide as little as possible (by minimizing the margin% on a shipment) and brokers want to pay carriers as little as possible by . . . . well paying as little as possible.

The reality is that in our industry the market swings up and down, right now it is firmly back in the carriers favor and rates are heavily spiking upward, where a couple of months ago it was in the shipper/brokers favor and rates were really low. It would normalize to a year round rate if we didn't try and price gouge each other when the market was in our favor but both groups seem happy to take the other group to the cleaners when they can.

Xray4 Thanks this.
  5. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I've never known the Gov to say HI.....:rolleyes:
    Worst phrase ya wanna hear!

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  6. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I know for a fact there are brokers that are taking 28% on some loads, I have to tell some of our agents who I'm leased to so they only take the 8% they're supposed to

bad-luck Thanks this.
  7. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Sure, and I know for a fact there are carriers that make $5.00 a mile on some loads, but I think we can both agree those are the exceptions and not the general state of rates for domestic truckload.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    You're supposed to say it twice

9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well I know this first hand I am not making it up. I have seen on several occasions, where when I picked up the load, the shipper had the freight rate what was paid mistakenly on the bill. I have also directly hauled for a customer, and know what the lane pays. Then I see a load on the board from a broker coming out of the same customer that I picked up for going to to same delivery point dirt cheap. When you as a broker call a customer, you tell a customer that you can get a load moved for XX to try and get the customer, you are setting the market rates. I don't know you, so I don't know what type of broker that you are. But as I said I have seen it first hand.

Xray4 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The Industry has been taken over by 3pls. They do make a lot of money, for not having any assets. A Degree in Logistics can provide a very good income. Planning and scheduling, and hiring all the Dummies to do the Physical Work. Unfortunately the value of physical labor, isn’t recognized as very important. It will never change, unless People Demand it. When Working people have to apply for food stamps, and even encouraged to in Job Orientations, at Wal Mart something’s wrong. Very wrong.

blairandgretchen and bad-luck Thank this.
  11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Not always and not every time. But if they are not making more than they say they are, Then answer me this? Why do some brokers make you waive your right to see what they are getting paid for the load? Why do brokers put you on the do not load list if you ask to see what they are being paid after you have completed load? Why do some brokers all out refuse to send you what they were paid? Remember its the law. It was put in place in an attempt to prevent brokers form gouging trucks

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.