Firearms N The Road

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by nghthwk, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Anything could be considered a weapon if the right person wanted to push it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. legit question could i transport a bow with no arrows of course in my truck from ky to mi

4. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    With no arrows? I don't think you'd have any problem there.

5. linden

linden Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Ok guys sneak around the rules and hide or carry a gun in your truck.
    If you were to have a wreck, I don't think your insurance would pay if you were carrying an illegal weapon. They'd probably try to get out of paying even if the weapon were legal.

6. pearldiver

pearldiver Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Ask the ATF. I don't know of any companies that would knowingly let you on their private property with a firearm. So even if you could legally carry one, you could be in violation of private property owner wishes. Where are you going to secure your firearm while loading/unloading your truck? It is very impractical for drivers to carry firearms.

If you live in your truck, I feel you should have the right. In light of other laws, however it is impractical? If it became necessary, laws would be passed quickly to allow it, I am confident. Remember any conviction of a crime can affect your eligibility to carry a CDL.

7. BigPappa

BigPappa Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Keller, TX
    According to my friend, a trucker driver is not allowed to have a gun in his truck regardless of the license to carry concealed. Is this true. Even if you are driving within the state that you have the license is it still against the law to carry?

8. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    There is nothing in the FMCSR about carring a firearm in the cab. However, you can carry in the state you have a permit in and in the states that recognize your home states permit.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    One problem many places do not allow firearms. When you cross that gate you are in violation. I know a driver that delivered to a prison. They searched his truck. Imagine what kind of a felony he would be facing. Most factories don't allow firearms either. Every company that I ever drove for had a no firearm rule in the cab. Plus if you ever had to cross a Stateline then what?

10. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't see a problem with it if you have a permit, and it applies to the states you travel in.

11. bloomerpuddin

bloomerpuddin Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2007
    RIGHT!! Like "secret stash boxes" aren't found EVERYDAY by law enforcement. How bout if you're gonna carry a firearm for protection you keep it to yourself UNTIL asked by law enforcement at which time just be honest. Police are people too most are blue collar they don't want to go unarmed and most wouldn't drive a truck OTR unarmed. Probably waht will happen is they'll ask where it is, they'll retrieve it, secure it until business is done, run the numbers to make sure not stolen or used in crime and then they'll jand it back.
    Lie about it, build a "stash box(false compartment as it's called in law enforcement) and you're gonna have a class c wrecker attached to your rig and you're gonna get free room and board for awhile.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GO ARMED BE HONEST WITH THE POPO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.