Firearms N The Road

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by nghthwk, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Rook

Rook Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Texas

Wrong, each state enforces it's laws independently and has varied regulations pertaining to individuals passing through their state with firearms. Some states require notification and others have other requirements pertaining to the transport of a firearm through the state. Texas recently changed the traveling law which stated "It is a defense to prosecution if a person in possession of a firearm is traveling" which means you can be arrested for it and prosecuted. Now they have changed it to actually define traveling. So if you do carry in your truck you better get the publication from the ATF listing all the states individual firearms regulations, They publish one every year or 2, and be informed because ignorance of the law is no defense in any state.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rook

Rook Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Texas
  4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I used to have a permit to carry concealed in the State of IN. Now how are you going to tell me I can go into another state and say well I have a permit in Indiana. They would say, well you are in Kansas now. Plus how are you going to get around company policy of no guns in cab? What about all the places you deliver and the sign on the fence reads NO FIREARMS ON PROPERTY. What's the plan now???????

5. NannyB

NannyB Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Greenville, Texas
    Just a little information about firearms.. It is illegal to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle unless your company is a armed guard such as Brinks Loomis or USAC just to mention a few.. These companies have the legal right and do all carry weapons in their trucks as well as their trucks are all kevlar lined..each gaurd is licensed in the state in which their company is our of and the under a special permit they are allowed to carry in open in uniform while on duty... As a former gaurd I can tell you the DOT frowns down on firearms in the Commercial Veh...

6. NannyB

NannyB Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Greenville, Texas
    Not all states share the same gun laws some are very strick in Texas if you can get into trouble carrying a gun under your coat in other states you have to have you consealed gun consealed or you can be arrested. There are only a few exceptions to carrying guns across state lines and those laws pertain to the shipment of cash, drugs, and high valued items such as credit cards. ect.. then there is a federal permit issued to the company carrying these items and the gaurds are licensed and in uniform with registared bages with the feds and these are some of the only gaurds allowed to carry firearms legally across state lines I know because I was a gaurd for one of these companies until last Dec when I resigned to have a job that gets me home more often.. I hauled for the BEP Bureau of Engraving and Printing who print our money and the FRB Federal Reserve Banks Good Job until hubby was injured and life took a change but an experience I will always treasure... Nanny

7. Driver'sWife

Driver'sWife Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Texas
    It is LEGAL to carry a firearm in a CMV...it may be frowned on but it is certainly legal.

For anyone that wants proof here are some phone numbers to verify the information for yourself:
    US DOT: 202-366-4000
    FMCSA: 800-832-5660
    National Rifle Association: 800-672-3888
    For those of you with Sirius Radio, Cam & Company is on channel 144. Listen to them and/or give them a call and ask at 866-NRA-NEWS. They are on 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. CST.

Driver'sWife

8. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    What about company policy? Or does it matter? What about signs on the gate where you are delivering NO FIREARMS on Property? Or does it matter? Hey if you are gonna advise drivers to pack might as well tell them to smuggle drugs in as well.:smt068 :smt070 :dontknow:

9. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    It does matter about COMPANY POLICY!

OUR DRIVERS are advised they CANNOT carry and signs are posted at each Terminal stating NO FIREARMS on the property or in TRUCKS.

ALSO the signs state NO WEAPONS in your private cars parked on this property, even if you have a CCW!

Granted...you can easily hide a weapon in your car, but if it's seen you are gone!

Security Cameras pick up alot of things.

10. Driver'sWife

Driver'sWife Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Texas
    I don't see anywhere in anything I've posted where I "advised" anyone to carry a firearm. I said the law doesn't forbid it, but the company might.
    As for places stating no firearms on property I've never actually seen that. If I do, I'll deal with it then.
    Hmm, carrying a firearm in a CMV is not illegal but smuggling drugs is illegal...I am certainly against drug smuggling.
    Owning a gun and carrying a gun are personal choices. I'm not advising anyone to own or carry, so please don't say that's what I'm doing.

Driver'sWife
    Your freedom to be you, is my freedom to be free from you.
    Andrew Wilkow

11. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Read the whole thread. More than one thread on this topic. People are telling drivers it is OK to carry. Good advice to land a driver in the pen. Why do you think you are the one advising to carry if you are not?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.