First CB and New truck

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Jmcdaniel0, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Jmcdaniel0

Jmcdaniel0 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Ok so ill admit I am a rookie. I have been driving for about 6 months now and when i got my own truck my wife bought me a Cobra 29 lx. The guy at the shop installed it for me using the stock antenna built into the truck and it is terrible. I have been reading alot here and apparently my Freightliner Cascadia is a known pain in the ###.

So I picked up the wilson mirror mount, 18ft of the wilson coax cable, and now I am looking for a decent antenna. I dont want to spend a fortune and I have been looking at the wilson 2000. Would my radio and equipment be a good match for that. I know nothing about watts and all that. Once I install it I plan to have a local cb shop peak and tune it for me, but i would like to have the set up ready to go before I have it done.

Sorry if I am beating the horse with this but in all of the threads I didnt see an answer.

shroomhauler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    wilson 2000 is good just make sure your swr's are correct.

rabbiporkchop and Blaskowitz Thank this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I drive the same POS. Usually I have to wiggle connection and maybe connect and disconnect a couple times to get decent match on factory connection to radio. Sometimes its way off, other times flat match. I'm assuming you are using meter on radio?

5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Dont let a cb shop hack up the inside of your radio with a peak n tune unless you know its a guy that knows what he is doing. Just make sure the antenna is tuned to the lowest/best possible SWR.

rabbiporkchop, slim6596 and Blaskowitz Thank this.
  6. Jmcdaniel0

Sep 29, 2017
    Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  7. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Wilson is good, no one has said this yet but when you tune for good swr, use a meter not the radio's swr meter.you can but one at the same truck stop you buy the antenna at.

Ground the mount and lean the antenna forward about 25 degrees and keep it as far away from the truck as possible.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Replacing the short shaft on the Wilson with a much longer one will drastically improve the performance as well.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    No point with the wilson any..Keepin that coil to low does no good..
    As rabbi suggested,7 ft skip shooter or settle for a 6ft..
    As per the grounding comment, so many are stuck on it and it doesnt really help..
    Just pick up some braded ground straps 8" at most and connect to both sides of the door hinge..Basic wire doesnt have the surface needed to help..
    None of this crap goin from ant mount to chassie helps.."IF" anything it "MIGHT" help with a lil static discharge
    Keep us posted with your progress..Losta stuff here in the forums to help and ask the boys here if you get stuck..

10. Jmcdaniel0

Sep 29, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.