First Day Orientation

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by fueldog, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mhintz15

mhintz15 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2009
    wi
    hi thats awesome, i know the Qcomm real good, my last company was werner. Had to start somewhere. So what kind of truck do you have? Thanks for the info and be safe out there

fueldog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    I just called maintenance about the idle and the speed,, Here's the fix,,, First the idle, when the warn lite comes on touch the foot feed,hit the cruise and it will keep it idling... Got the done now I'll stay cool and warm...
    Now the speed 62 stays that way as a NewBe, till you demonstrate no excessive idle and good shifting and fuel eco, then they will bump it up part of the fuel bonus,,thing,, you can get it to as high as 68 move up. So here I go work on that shift and fuel idle I want my 68 on the flat..

Baack Thanks this.
  4. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    Hello mhintz15,

I got a 07 mfg 12/06, IH 9500i walk in sleeper all are double bunked and have cabs for refrig and tv,, which they will allow you to install a 1200watt inverter but has to be done by an approved shop they have given ok to $300 which they will deduct from your pay if you cant front that.. I use a 450watt cig lighter type,, they don't allow anyting to be drilled screwed or attached inside or out on their trucks, with the exception of outside the good ole glory Ric

5. Georgia_Dog

Georgia_Dog Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I was all gung-ho on accepting orientation until your last post. There's no way in heck I could take a load to any state in the south, June-August, and <attempt to>sleep(or wait) at a truck stop(or anywhere, for that matter) with no A/C!! I have never heard of such a ridiculous requirement as to shut truck off after 5 mins of idling. What happens when you're waiting at your backhaul location at 3pm in Dallas, TX in mid July. You might as well consider yourself dead or close to it!

fueldog Thanks this.
  6. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    I dont know where you heard you can't idle more than 5 minutes? Here's the way it is... Celadon wants you to stay Warm or Cool, you can Override the 5 minute cut off and truck will stay running to keep you Warm or Cool. They don't expect you to freeze or sweat it out. They want you to be comfortable. All they ask is don't idle when you don't need to.. If you watch your driving and shifting and idleing. You'll get a fuel bonus for saving the company money.. On the other end is all you do is constantly idle when you don't need to, they will talk with you about it. See if you can improve it.. Like the airlines, Personel,Fuel and Maintenance are the highest overheads to profits.. Get those under control, and everyone gets a bonus,, Job security, and pay increases :biggrin_2554:

7. rightLayne

rightLayne Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I want to thank you for your posts. I suppose now that you're running we won't get to hear from you as much. I am getting back into a truck after two years. I was wondering if you could tell me more about the backing up. Is it in the yard and did you say hardly any room between them?
    Rusty with nerves I guess. I wish you the best of luck and maybe I'll see you out there. I go to orientation next wed. Can't wait on that bus ride.:biggrin_25525:

fueldog Thanks this.
  8. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    I will keep in touch with all, as the days move on.. The hole drive test is very easy and fair.. Simple, basically want to see if you can handle the rig and use good judgement, in lane changes, mirror watching, gear shifting, you go on Interstate for a few miles, then local, then in a trailer yard. just take your time don't get in a hurry its not a time test.. Just use good driving skills and judgement. When backing make sure you get out and go behind and look before you back in, 4 ways and take your time.. If your not sure get out a look again. There's no time test or number of attempts, just show good safe operating skills, you'll pass fine. Again don't get in a rush, think about what your doing.. Be Safe! thats mostly what its about..
    See you out there and keep in touch, let me know what your experience was like.. :biggrin_25520:
    Now in my second week, keeping me steady.. I always smile, at them, and no harsh words. Remember,, Celadon does not make freight, they haul it.. If your attitude is good, with the company and don't hammer on the DM's dispatch and complain.. Just do your job like a good Marine, Yes Sir, No Sir, Who Sir, Me Sir, it's not for me to ask why, but to do or die :biggrin_25517:
    Your reward will be there, we ever there is?

Happy Trucking Best To You All

Highgear Thanks this.
  9. rightLayne

rightLayne Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks fueldog,

I just got my bus schedule and leave Sat. for a 27 hour drive. Wonder how many celadon trucks will pass me on that bus trip or how many I'll pass. I'm trying to pack light but it's hard since I know all the stuff that I'll need.

Definitely going to need to stop by the house on one of those Laredo trips to get my rain gear and cooler and all the stuff that'll keep me out of the fast food joints. I pretty much can get by days without spending a dime, I make it a reward trip to Wally World and splurge on some fresh fruit and a veggie tray after a solid week.

So it sounds like you're trying to get into a groove and adjusting fine. My brothers were all marines and daddy a sailor, me I went army...hoorah! I do know the yes sir no sir and I have never been a complainer, ever. I just take it as history and roll on.

Well nice to hear from you again and keep safe.

fueldog Thanks this.
  10. IrunU

IrunU Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Outside the fire
    Are you going to Celadon?

11. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    Yup, I believe he is.. But he can confirm that... You won't see a lot of trucks, Celadon passing you by.. any more that any of the others.. It's is slow out here, but keep in mind,, we don't make freight, we haul it.. trucking is an instant temp gauge to what's happening to the economy... nothing good lasts, nor bad.. and the old saying, never jump off a roller coaster till it stops.. could get hurt? :yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.