First major expenses as an Owner Operator on the truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Sep 27, 2021.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Its a flat rate job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Just fyi if u get wheel seal done at ta. They will make you sign a waiver stating that once they take the wheel end apart , if there is any broken parts or bearing play is out of spec, they will not continue to work on it nor will they put it back together. You will have to get it towed to another shop. Just something to be aware of.

4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Yep. Seen it happen many times.

5. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    A lot of the work is not gonna get done.
    Omgawd, in there defence there is just on bolt that won't come free. I finally had to call it and ask them to m0ve on.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    First major expenses

Get used to it. Spending money is just a part of this business. Be smart about what you spend on.

Never forget it's a revolving door money comes in but money is always going to go out whether it's on small things or big things... you have to just make sure you put money away all the time.

And don't be the guy that's cheap or that cries every time you have to do something. Not saying that you are but don't be afraid to make your truck right and keep it right.

Maintenance is your best friend and it's money well-spent but when it's time to actually spend more spend it and make your truck right and keep going.

7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You ever do a good pre trip inspection ?

Is this something that a good pre trip would have noticed ?

I always set aside 10% of my income , after I took out fuel and insurance , for Maint and repairs .
    And for me that was almost spot on.
    and find a good independent mechanic near your home and when you’re home for a few days , drop your truck off for an inspection.

I know one small fleet that has their trucks home every weekend, and they have a mechanic inspect the trucks and trailers, thoroughly, every weekend .
    They still have some unexpected Maint issues on the road , but not as much as they would have without regular inspections .

start hosing all the bolts that have to be removed with PB Blaster three times a day

will make it a lot easier for the shop that does it .

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    If you don't know what your brake linings look like when they're worn out you need to take your equipment and get it inspected by someone who does. Those pads are beyond toast. That's something that could have been caught a long time ago. Also, a stuck bolt is BS. 99 percent of the time a torch will have it out in minutes. Even a little propane torch can save the day sometimes. Just used mine Sunday to remove a rusted exhaust clamp bolt.

4k isn't much when running class 8 equipment. Get used to it, my friend. When you're in the five digit cost range is what I would consider major. Rebuilds come to mind immediately. You'll be routinely spending on four digit repairs/maintenance. Better make sure you are always putting a percentage of your revenue away for said expenses or you won't be operating for long.

shooter19802003 and feldsforever Thank this.
  9. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    Thank you drivers for the advice, I do the best pre trip I can. I have made a post on here before about the brakes. Asking about how to adjust and or monitor them.
    With the super single on the out side and the dust shield on the back I couldnt see them. And to the best on my information no way to adjust the disc brakes. I voulentary brought the truck in. Just knowing something wasn't right.
    I've been on this site long enough and had it drilled in my head enough not to start with out maintaince funds. My available maintaince funds on day one was 9,300. Before I pay for this today it is currently 17,250 ish. My goal is to continue up to and keep it refilled at 30k.
    Even at the end of the year when it goes from the business account to my savings. I will hold that 30k. For the truck.
    After I have that amount in storage. I will then start working on the house. Now that I'm a owner. My goal is to have enough to deal with a one box, tranny, or enigine problem. Or worst case scenario buy a new truck. Every day I get closer to being a professional. And I have all of you to thank you for it. So thank you all

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.