First NYC delivery

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Haula**, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    144-31 91st Ave, Jamaica, NY 11435 Is the address.

Truck GPS is telling me to go over the GW bridge down 678 and off a Jamaica Avenue. Which seems not too difficult until I started to google street view my destination and plenty of streets over in the area show no trucks.

Should I turn down 138th place and left on 91st Avenue? Or turn down 146th and blindside back down 91st?

I’m 73 feet long. 53 foot trailer. Tandems at the CA legal area with a sleeper.

When I get close to NY should I slide the tandems forward more to allow for easier steering?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    bzinger Thanks this.
  4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    From 678. Take Jamaica, turn right on Sutphin & right on 91st

Ruthless and bzinger Thank this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Appreciate the vote of confidence but my NYC knowledge is getting dated .

x1Heavy and austinmike Thank this.
  6. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Never been into that area. But go into the city on a full set of hours, memorize each turn before hand. And when all else fails don’t be afraid to ask NYPD that’s why they are there.

Tb0n3, tscottme and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  7. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
  8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    From 678. Take Jamaca, turn right on Sutphin & right on 91st

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im going to vote against the GWB crossing, you have to recross the throgs or some other bridge to get that far down.. If the address is correct.

Verazzano Bridge to 278 onto 495 onto 678 would be a more straight shot. You do have to cross Staten Island from the Jersey side to do it. If its in the morning you have traffic issues so give a hour or two for that. Best to go in at night I suppose like I always did. Not to that particular spot but in general up there. Usually to Hunts etc.

I have no knowledge of the current Verazanno Bridge. The last time I used it was in the 90's early and they had closed the upper level toll due to crime and pending reconstruction. Blew through them at 80 missing anyone trying to stop me by this much. It is truly a major bridge. Things have changed for the better since then.

If this is the Rosco Systems Customer you are trying to deliver to, matching your bills here it is... I tell you right now you will need to dump all your airride to get down in there. And frankly just examining the overall situation gives me a headache. Better you than me. Good luck to you. Be very careful.

Google Maps

10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Cops may not know how to help.

Verazanno is redone, Staten Island Expressway was completed. The Hudson is best crossed on 278 (Goethals Bridge, now as wide as the expressway on either side).

Going out on the Verazanno towards Staten Island is tolled double what the other than big bridges charge but those are tolled both ways, been years since I have gone anywhere but Brooklyn.

Tb0n3, Dan.S, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    the bridge to Staten island from jersey you have to pay toll going back at least go back on the gw .... slide tandems all the way up ..... new York isn't that bad it's hyped up more than the rest , Boston is much worse. .. traffic is worse in Washington Atlanta Austin Orlando ect.. .... if you are going in on the gw kind of memorize your first couple of turns my gps loses satellite signal as soon as you cross because you are going to go under a spaghetti of freeways. it's easier to get around than old parts of Pittsburgh.

bzinger and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.