First NYC delivery

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Haula**, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it

austinmike and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    This is the Rosco Systems customer. Looking on google maps I’ll have to back into a building off the street?

4. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    I would actually suggest avoiding this Sutphin route. Taking a right on Sutphin and a right on 91st means you will have to blindside back into the building.

I would suggest staying on 678 S. and getting off at exit 5 for Atlantic Ave. At the top of the ramp turn left and immediately left again like you were getting back on 678 headed north.

But instead of getting back on the highway, turn right onto 91st Ave. go five blocks and your delivery is on the left. Set up for a site side back

gentleroger, Dan.S, Haula** and 2 others Thank this.
  5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    REMEMBER! If you approach an intersection, and you see the street signs for the intersecting street, AND SEE a sign facing the same direction that says “NO TRUCKS”,,,, that means the road YOUR ON,, not the intersecting street. Even though it’s facing the direction of the opposing st.

I learned that one the tough way, exiting Manhattan on Broadway.

Nypd told me, can the traffic going the other direction read that sign? No. So that sign is for you. I misread it as “don’t turn onto this road, because it’s no trucks”, I mean because if I’m on north on Jones rd, and I’m approaching smith st, smith st will have signs saying smith st facing east and west. But if the no trucks is facing east and west, then I would assume no trucks is meant for the east and west directions. But I digress

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    What a way to pop your cherry. Lol. Good luck driver & remember, don’t let the horns get to you. They can wait or turn around. No getting in a hurry because you’re in the way!!! That is when accidents happen.

Here’s your hole...
    3DDA9199-90EA-47B6-97B6-DFE8E7913E10.png

Schoob Thanks this.
  7. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Ok so update!

Thank all of you for your responses it made all the difference in the world I swear!!!!!

To the guy that said go in on a full set of hours I sure did! And boy did that pay off. Like seriously! I found a side street by the Goethals Bridge to sleep on in Staten Island. Appoint at 11am. I leave Staten Island at 9am and don’t get to the drop until 11:30 ‍♂️.

I went the Verranzano Bridge Route. 278 to 478 to 678. Got off at Exit 5 like the one gentleman suggested and came straight down 91st! No isssues or problems.

But I arrived at 11:30 and had two trucks in front of me so I didn’t get unloaded to 4pm. Now I’m leaving Queens to pickup another load in Jersey man I don’t get there until 6:30. Traffic was crazy but the city wasn’t as bad as I expected except for people who park close to the end of a street making it super scary to turn right.

Glad I asked the question here this is what makes TTR the best truck community ever! Seriously love y’all man I would’ve been so screwed without asking lol.

Oh and F NYC and those freaking 12’9 clearances that really are 13’6. I was ducking and #### lol

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Good job driver. In New York (the whole state) you’ll fit under anything 12’9” or more. Nothing less

9. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    NYC DOT - Trucks and Commercial Vehicles

Use that to know which streets you’re allowed to go in. You’re only allowed on non truck routes if you have a delivery in that address. Try to stay in the thru truck routes as much as you can avoid the local truck routes until it’s near your destination as they are slow.

Whatever clearance the signs say add a foot more that’s your actual clearance.

Slide your tandems all the way front.

Watch out for everything these people are always in a rush and don’t care about you. When you open wide to make the right turns make sure no one tries to squeeze thru I’ve had many times where they just squeeze thru assuming I’m watching them.

If you have a morning appt try to get in very early around 3am makes commuting easier and finding a parking spot more likely.

Don’t let the idiot 4 wheelers rush you, these ####ers love using the horn.

High chance you’re backing from the street. Be very careful these 4 wheelers will squeeze thru the moment there’s a gap.

Don’t over stress about it just mind the signs.

AVOID THE PARKWAYS. There is only one small section of the grand central parkway you’re allowed to drive in that’s it. Expressways are OK.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Learn to use profanity. And always add the word Fugetboutit at the end of whatever string you verbally hurl back at the abusive 4 wheeler or in NYC's case, 4 wheelers plural.

As a child I learned dirty words. But I did not learn how to use them in proper context.

After trucking school added some new ones, I refined them in NYC. HA... //part sarcasm.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    12'6" is fine. That's most of long island. I went under a 12'6" on my way to a delivery in long island city. What's the freaking point of clearance signs if they're always wrong?

Going to Borden Ave. I passed through with a reefer, just the same as the other reefers before me.
    Not a low bridge.png

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.