First oil change

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Twista89, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Here is what Rawze states regarding changing the Aux filter...

I used to check how clogged my filter was by simply running my hand from the bottom of it towards the top,... After cranking the truck, I would feel for where it was "warm" vs "colder" to see how clogged it was. If it was only the very 1/3 top if it warm,.. then I know it was time to change it.

I didn't mess with it otherwise.

Here is the thread I pulled this from, I think you will find the information helpful. ISX and Bypass Oil Filter Systems

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Twista89

Twista89 Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Thanks man greatly appreciate it. Just got done ordering it so I’ll try and get it installed when I drain the oil

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    There is some good info on that thread, especially in regards to fittings and lines. Your motor will thank you. And don't forget the EGR tuneups.

5. Twista89

Oct 2, 2017
    Haha, any threads with info on that?

6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    My company uses Baldwin and Fleetguard. We also use synthetic and do PMs at 50K intervals.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Extra filters are more for those who want to use the extended intervals. Extended intervals are for those who runs trucks with bare minimal servicing for a few years and them dump them before serious problems show up, such as carbon packing. There really isn't a need for extra filters if you just follow regular service intervals. Change your oil, not your engine. As for International, if you install anything after market, your warranty gets fishy. If the aftermarked device or installation failed and caused engine damage, your Navistar warranty won't cover anything. The only extra filters that International has is the optional centrifugal frame mounted filter.

Bean Jr. and Twista89 Thank this.
  8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    This is actually even more important that the oil. Of course use the correct weight and spec oil. I have seen more engine failures from misinstalled or failed aftermarket filters. Even today I still use OEM filters on everything I own just for this reason alone. Not worth the risk of failure over the few dollars saved, if any. Fuel system filters are just as important. Buy any injectors lately?

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The idea of the extra filter in the Rawze universe is not to extend the oil changes, but to remove the soot to avoid the carbon packing you spoke of. Those extended oil changes are for fools. Regular oil changes, on an EGR truck, every 12,000 miles +/-. I have no clue how anyone would logically go over that mileage or hours and expect their motor to last. All of the soot in the oil along with the additive package breaking down, you are just asking for trouble.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    12,000 miles is a waste of money and oil.

12,000 miles needs to be an oil change interval for severe duty, not over the road.

Don't be cheap, get a good bypass system, spend the money to have it properly installed.

Use synthetic oil, do 15k OA and establish a baseline.

Right now excluding hh trucks, fleet average is up to 40k oil changes.

During that time the oil is in the sump, we pull some oil at 15k and replace it.

I have 30% with Cummins, and I have one truck out of that 30% having egr problems.

I agree soot is a problem but oil doesn't wear out, it gets dirty and soot is one part of that dirt. The additives also get removed and this is why we do more than do more than an oa.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Twista89

Oct 2, 2017
    So I’m kinda at a stand still then. I want to buy a bypass but not at the cost of my still in place warranty. Heavy D if the dealer installs it will that ensure the safety of my warranty???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.