First oversize.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SavageMuffin, Apr 7, 2018.

1. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    I try to make note as you said. Pulling the oversize stuff vs legal freight/van freight seems worlds different parking wise.

jamespmack and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    You’ll be amazed where you can put an oversized load.

jamespmack, Lepton1, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

@TripleSix didnt you have a list of those places of some sort a few years back in areas you commonly run?

jamespmack, cke, TripleSix and 3 others Thank this.
  5. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    That would be much much appreciated if so.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I do. I have them saved on my GPS. But it's just the places that I've frequented. Usually, it's the big mom and pop travel centers with easy access. A decade ago, I roamed all of North America, but there are lots of places now, that I haven't been in 8 years or longer. I don't go to Loves or Peelots and there are very few Flying Fishhooks (2 Hooks I will go to are the one on the east side look of St Louis in Illinois and the one in St George,SC.

If anyone has an OSOW and needs help planning a parking spot, just speak up. I am certain that there is a member here that can help.

jamespmack, Lepton1, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Much of it really is paying attention to the places you go, especially if you stay pretty regional. Every time you pull into a place imagine doing so with an oversize load. Pay attention all the way from the freeway through to the parking, back to the freeway. Some places seem really good, except, say, for example, one little turn that screws everything up.

Using trucker path you can find a lot of smaller places, and you can see everything in satellite view. Dirt lots are often easier to work with than large asphalt patches, but check things out and see how things look.

Sometimes rest areas can offer good parking choices for OS loads, depending on the state and how they are designed. But at the end of the day, if you aren't familiar with the place, you definitely want to check it out on satellite view and check out the roads in and out of the place.

8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    One could also use Google's Street View for an even closer look too. Can even read the signs on the road.

jamespmack, SavageMuffin and ChaoSS Thank this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I pull over length, which means wide turns. Street View rocks for figuring out just how bad some intersections are, or if the curbs look like the sort that can be run over if absolutely needed or if there are signs or posts in the ground, or high curbs preventing you from doing that.

Kind of a mixed blessing. Its an amazing resource that didn't exist for drivers up until recently. But now that it is available a lot of customers think that between google and and gps, there is no reason why we should ever contact them to ask about the routes into a place that they are familiar with...

jamespmack, Lepton1, Feedman and 2 others Thank this.
  10. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Thanks for that.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Today I’m just getting legal freight. Shingles. Gonna deliver it in LA then hit the house.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.