First time adding an owner operator

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Fares, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Fares

Fares Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    IL
    Hello, how is everyone doing? I hope all is good. I have my owned truck that runs under my own authority. All my own numbers. I have two friends wanting to work under my own authority with their own truck. I am confused about what the steps are. What needs to be done with before they start working under my own authority. I talked to the insurance guy, and he said it’s better off to have them have their own insurance even for cargo, bobtail and liability. What do you know about this, and what’s the best route. Where can I get the contracts from as well. Thank you for your help!

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    We are in the same boat as you. My husband and I run 1 truck operation under our own numbers and we have a guy we use to work at the company with that wants to come drive under our authority. We are planning to let him do so but we are in the learning stages of getting it all worked out. We won’t have him come work under our authority until we have everything figured out. I do know that when we were attached to a company we had to get our own bobtail insurance and liability insurance.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Your insurance guy is wrong. It must be your liability insurance and cargo. Collision and bobtail is their responsibility.

Lease contract is a must. You can have a transportation attorney draw it up, or find a generic one online somewhere.

Make sure they get pre employment drug screen and get added to the random pool.

5. Fares

Fares Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    IL
    This is our case as well for me and my wife. She takes care of all paper work, and I take care of driving. Good luck to you and your husband! Hopefully we figure things out a little bit here! We also activated the brokerage as well. We just need to figure out the contract as well! Time will fix everything soon! Take care!

6. Fares

Fares Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    IL
    Thank you for responding, but I am not sure at this point who is right and who is wrong. So many people I contacted have different things to say. If you look at Pumpkin reply, the company they used to work for asked for different things then what you saying. I know others as well said also different things. I also know others that said what your saying. My man I am confused and been confused. Hopefully someone very knowledge especially from law side that can help with great explanation or someone that has a big company that have a big heart to answer us. Keep me posted if you hear anything regarding this matter! Take care!!!
    Btw forgot to mention, they have their own truck so am not sure what kind of contract they will have to sign!

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    @Midwest Trucker is a fleet owner.

8. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    If they are leased to you, they must be on your insurance policy(liability & cargo)

Judge and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    I would trust what @Midwest Trucker and what he says. Looking at his post in the past he is always right on. I remember being attached to the company we needed bobtail insurance and I was thinking liability insurance but what we needed was insurance to cover our truck if anything would happen so I could be incorrect calling it liability. But if our truck caught fire or if we in an accident we was covered under our insurance to help replace the semi. My husband took care of the insurance portion so he would be better equipped to answer the question.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Fares

Fares Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    IL
    Hello everyone, I hope all of you are doing great! I want to thank everyone of you for the respect and response. Wanted to give some updates. I talked to insurance. The insurance said that they used to do it all under company, and the owner operator pay weekly or monthly plus purchase bobtail. Now what they do because it’s cheaper for the owner operator is to have the insurance under their name because this way they be fully covered not pay for company and bobtail insurance as well. The company like me for example have to collect the COI of certificate every quarter or less or more to make sure their insurance is still active. Now for every owner operator there has to be driver qualification file, background, MVR, insurance, preemployment drug test. Also the most important thing is contract. @Midwest Trucker. It seems you are very knowledgeable so I wanted to tell you my updated story maybe you can help me out here!
    I need to get the contract set up, still confused about that!
    thank you for everything everyone!

GPT Thanks this.
  11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yes they will run under your cargo and liability but, they can get there own physical damage/collision/bobtail on there own policy. Thats how it'll be cheaper for you.

cke, GPT and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.