First time CDL holder looking for tips and tricks.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cverzosa5, May 12, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pretend your GPS does not exist. You need the Rand McNally Atlas and a google earth connection to your smart phone to engage in trip planning based on the physical address of customer. When you call same, do not let Mrs Giggle give you directions, get it from the Operations or Traffic Boss.

Buy the current years 800 Business numbers for the entire USA. Call them direct for the information, you will find that some will yell at you for having the number. It's not a state secret.

Horse first, saddle second, you last.

When the HOS says Simon go to bed, that does not mean driving all night to delver in the AM because dispatcher tells you to. You go to bed.

Fix that truck before you take it out of the company yard. Put it into the shop on a proper formal Write up (Get a copy or photocopy it) and document anyone and everyone by name, time, date, position who gives you pushback on fixing a bad truck. Talk to the Veep or Owner and say that you cannot fix that truck because shop boss does not care about it telling you aw run it.

Don't go out of the yard without a truck that is 100% without defects.

Do not do favors for dispatcher. Next thing you know you will be on a permanent Chinese fire drill emergency loads for dispatch until you are caught OOS by DOT. Dispatch knows hours or days ahead what loads go to where.

Build savings from your money. I dont care if you had a 100 mile trip, put that 50 dollars into savings. Add to it every week with at least half the net.

Part of your savings is a valid credit card and 400 dollars on your person able to get home from anywhere in the USA.

Clothing all weather. Sometimes you come out of the Desert into a howling winter storm on chain.

And so on so forth.

Search terms new driver and you will get pages and pages of this advice written over and over and over.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Waddie

Waddie Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2019
    I am 55 been doing this for a few years, lots 20190512_152950.jpg of guys on here with a lot of experience. My advice is similar to others, stay calm and pre-plan. I need to place this in Toronto, On. from 1800 miles away still get antsy and nervous. Stay calm pre-plan and you will be fine.

Lepton1 and Cverzosa5 Thank this.
  4. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    That has lots of wheels

5. Cverzosa5

Cverzosa5 Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Thanks man appreciate everything

6. Waddie

Waddie Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2019
    The only thing I will add is talk to the guy's that have done it. Not talking about truck stop bs, the senior guys at whatever company you are with. We never stop learning, I was quizzing two drivers from our company today about things along the route that may be an issue and fuelling options along a Northern Hwy. Never be afraid to ask, you may be surprised by the amount information you can gain by the most simplest question.

Cverzosa5 Thanks this.
  7. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    You have received a ton of input on this post. Here is mine:
    1. Always try to keep "space" around your truck. No tailgating and don't be afraid to give way even if you have the right of way.
    2. Not pushing religion but I like this prayer as I feel it really helps me keep my sanity trucking:
    " Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". Good luck driver.

Lepton1 and Cverzosa5 Thank this.
  8. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, is CYA, because not a single other person will.

9. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    I was gonna give some advice but I think you covered everything driver!!! Lmao!!!!

bigkev1115 and Cverzosa5 Thank this.
  10. Cverzosa5

Cverzosa5 Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2019
    This is all awesome you guys thank you for the tips and advices

bigkev1115 Thanks this.
  11. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    The best tip of them all is, " Don't fear the truck, Respect the truck". Don't rush everybody could wait. They have no idea what it is to drive a big truck. Use the Smith System it works. Keep a good following distance so you always have time to stop. I had a car flip over right in front of me. I had enough time to see it, recognize it and react to it. By the time it actually happened I had enough time to drop 3 gears and come to a complete stop on the shoulder to be a spectator. If you gotta chain up get off the road because you got no business being on the road if you gotta chain up. Winter driving is using your senses and your common sense and paying attention to the temperature outside and the road conditions. If you have ice on your mirrors and your windshield wiper blades there's probably ice on the road too. Look at the tires of other vehicles if you don't see any spray coming off their tires anymore there's ice. I know 32 degrees is the freezing point of water but make the red flags go up at 35 degrees. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the roads freeze up at that temperature. Sometimes the ground is colder than the air temperature. Learn the proper use of your 4 ways to avoid from being rear ended.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    dwells40 and Cverzosa5 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.