First time o/o's or buyers read this...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kittyfoot, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    One of our "teams" just bought themselves their own (used) truck a couple weeks ago. Real proud of it.

Yesterday I found out that on their second trip out they dropped an injector. They haven't even got their first paycheck. Yeah, the company's gonna help them out but it still sucks.

This is why I and most other experienced folks here tell y'all to make sure you've got enough cash laid aside to deal with stuff like this (repair bill plus covering your downtime and lost earnings) before you ever turn a wheel. Bad stuff happens to even the nicest of folks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. moblue

moblue Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    You are not lying! I just started. Pointed out some things to the outfit I got the truck from. They stated they were fixed. I've always been company so apart from pretrip inspection I was not mechanically inclined Never had to worry about maintenance issues. The big things I could find and point out like oil leaks etc.
    Anyway seems I'm gonna need a clutch, Steer axle wheel seal went hopefully won't need bearings. A bunch of expensive stuff to fix.
    Luckily I have a mechanic who isn't a thief, is dealer trained and knows his stuff.
    I'll get his permission and post his info so if you're broke down in GA especially with a Volvo you will get a straight shooter who knows what he's doing and won't rape you.

4. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I second that too. I only been out going on two months so far i had to replace, oil sensor, #4 actuator, starter, bought 4 news batteries, coolant line tighten could not get to it, Patch a flat tire. I have a crack in my exhaust manifold. I have a 2yr warranty, of course none of this is covered. I'm going to have the manifold fix when i get home. The only good thing about this i have the money to fix it. You have to have some reserve money. The total repairs so far is $1800.

5. vinnie_

vinnie_ Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2010
    nh
    owning is 24 7 job

6. IF they started out without enough money to pay for an injector, that's just crazy. An injector shouldn't cost more than 1000 dollars, at the most crooked shop. What if it had been a tranny or differential? Here's a little bit of a different perspective.......If you can't pay for an injector, then chances are you probably wouldn't be able to even handle the cost of a steer tire on the side of the road. The last injector I had replaced was 36 dollars more than the last drive tire I had to have replaced on the side of the road. Who'd go truckin' without enough cash to buy a tire?

When you consider base plates, 2290's, and all those other little various cost to just start going down the road, you need a pretty good pile of cash before you even start talking about an emergency reserve fund in case of emergencies.

Buying a truck is a business venture. #### few business ventures can be started successfully and kept going without capital. Trucking isn't any different. It takes money to make money and if you're not sure you have enough keep saving and learning before you sign on the dotted line for than shiny new (to you:biggrin_25525:) truck.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  7. Toni Clay

Toni Clay Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Hello,

I am new to the trucking industry and would like to know how a company lease driver can make a 6 figure income? I am with central refrigerate with a cdl permit. I think that this company has a good lease program, but still not sure if the income can be made each year. How do all this work?

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Hi Toni... I think I'd do a search for the answers you're looking for. At least visit the Central Refrigerated thread or start another rather than hijack this one.

Back on topic... I feel for these new O/O's. I tried to have my 1st truck checked 9 ways to Sunday when I bought it. Even with the most thorough checking and a clean bill of health, things can still happen. Having $$ in the bank is very important. I'm sure some have gambled and made it, but that's going to be a rarity I'm afraid.
    Good luck to you guys starting out....I'm starting into my 2nd year as an O/O and will help out any way I can.

zablon Thanks this.
  9. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    As some of you know, I did the best inspection I could (I was a Ford Mechanic in a past life and also know my way around a diesel) - and still issues cropped up. They always will... Some I didn't even see coming. In my case, I bought the rig about 8-10 months BEFORE I intended to run it. I paid cash for the truck and still work full-time at my current job of 12yrs... My normal income is paying for repairs and DOT issues that came up - so that by the end of winter, I can prolly run it. It will be fixed and I start out of the gate w/o a dime of debt and several months of operating capital in the bank. My biggest expense thus far was a set of new drive tires ($3500). They were a mix/match of all different recaps. Hell with that! - Next expense? New kingpins...then she will pass DOT.

Since I filed my LLC back in April, I now have several business accounts and decent business lines of credit (some I have tapped into)...and now have a 'history' with my business. My thinking is that when I hit the road, I have 'technically' become established and not totally a new company.

But OMG - the fees and Wisconsin permits/taxes/plates/insurance/MC..I paid for it all, since I'm not leased to anyone...It's certainly a learning experience...
    I just hope people REALLY do their homework..Ask around and a lot of questions...as some of you have said.."this is a business" and not just a driving job...

PS. I am looking forward to DEDUCTING some of this stuff against my taxes soon. That will be the next hurdle to learn and understand...

10. stallardjrs

stallardjrs Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Sounds like you're doing it the way it should be done.

11. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Presuming you mean me....
    I'm trying....Sometimes I think I test people's patience on here though..
    :biggrin_25513: - sorry guys...I try to do what I can on my own, but sometimes I get stuck...

I was a company driver back in the 90s and left trucking but it never left 'me'....the problem is most of the OTR companies play games with people
    and their lives...running your own rig puts you more in the DRIVER'S SEAT....

stallardjrs Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.