First Truck??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Arjona1, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    New prices are dropping like a rock too. Won’t be suprised to see new sleeper trucks right at $100k by the fall again.
    I parked mine yesterday until rates increase again. Could be months is not the rest of the year?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    DO NOT... BUY AN EMISSION TRUCK.
    There are LOTS of gliders for sale. Find one with a FACTORY rebuilt s60. A columbia was my choice. Not the nicest truck but it is HANDS DOWN the cheapest truck on the road to service. LOTS of used parts available, and new parts are affordable.
    If you buy an emission truck you will not make it without a huge trust fund.
    Guaranteed.

jsnell and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. jinxutoo

jinxutoo Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Illinois
    I got 590,000 out of my 14 Int. At 550,000 started having DEF problems and then the cams started making noises like my previous cummins when I had to rebuild the top end. I traded it in for a new truck.
    Like the other guys was saying, I would wait for a few and see what happens with the economy and when it comes back, if possible, buy a brand new one. The day of the million mile engine is over.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Nope, not over, buy a glider and just keep rebuilding it.

tommymonza, Rideandrepair and roadtech Thank this.
  6. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    I agree to what’s already been said, buy a pre emmisions older truck or glider or buy a new truck under warranty. A 2008 to 2016 emmisions truck with Half a million miles will bankrupt you unless your a mechanic with significant back up funds . They are disasters or
    Disasters waiting to happen.
    Run the numbers , especially insurance , right now you might be way better off with a good company job.

tommymonza, Rideandrepair and DUNE-T Thank this.
  7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Emissions trucks are fine. That's mostly what's on the road now. Problem is the years you are looking at. 08-12 are the worst, the WORST years you could consider. That's probably why you're looking at them, because they are cheap.

Don't do it.

fordry, alds, tommymonza and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Arjona1

Arjona1 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Update!
    So I’ve taken my mechanic with me to do further inspections of the vehicles aforementioned. We can across a 2012 Colombia Freightliner 616k miles Detroit 60 engine 13 speed. He advice me that this truck would be the best one to go with because of the maintenance he would preform would be easiest and least expensive as it is more mechanical engineering than electrical.
    I would love to hear you guys input and opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Be safe out there

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I'd wait a couple weeks to buy that truck the price with probably be half of what its currently listed at.

tommymonza, Rideandrepair and 86scotty Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the council of the elders has spoken

DO NOT BUY a truck right now.

continue to save up your money, it may be a while longer before this virus issue is resolved and things get back to a more normalcy.

by the time that happens, you will have more money, for a bigger down payment, plus money set aside for when you will have a slow down.

Rideandrepair and R8Merk Thank this.
  11. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    If it is a factory rebuild, or done by somebody other than Fitzgerald. Do an oil sample, get an ECM dump. I would negotiate HARD if your hell bent to do it now, considering the economic climate right now I may wait and NOT DO IT until we see this mess we have right now thru to the other side.

GoldenLad and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.