First week OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kingty9183, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Love the good vibes. Write it all down. Here or elsewhere. You can reread it when you have a crisis moment in 3 months. Cuz it will happen. The emotional rollercoaster is one the major hurdles in OTR (IMO).
    So yes!!! Right decision. Out here making it happen ;-) keep a steady attitude with your trainer. You're going to be stuck in basically a glorified jail cell with him for a little while longer but you can certainly handle it. As long as you waited to finally be here a few more weeks is definitely manageable.
    Happy you're feeling good, keep up the positive energy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Maybe think longer than 6 months.
    Take some time to actually learn what you will need to know, and be sure you can do it.

Too many people fail at the whole L/O and O/O thing because they jump into it much too soon.
    6 months in and you are still somewhat a rookie. That is why many companies require 1-3 years of experience before they will hire you even as a company driver.

Take your time to build up the experience needed, the knowledge needed, and the actual funds needed before you jump to that ship.

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Please don't. Thank me later

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    By the time Later hits, they, “IC’s” hate everyone and everything connected to the trucking industry. So, I will thank you now.

6. Solo Soul

Solo Soul Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2021
    On top of a hill
    I am glad you are liking the job. How is the pay if I may ask?

7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Enjoy your time with a trainer. Try and learn as much as you can. Once you get your own truck and go solo, your world is gonna change!! My time with trainer was really good. But, that first month solo really sucked, and that's pretty normal. Second month was bad too, but not as bad. About my 3rd month things started to settle down and get more manageable for me.
    I'd wait off on leasing. Give it awhile. I was pretty Gung ho about getting 'my' own truck at the start. Once I got out there and started traipsing around and learning the differences, risks and the like with getting my own truck, I decided I liked being a company driver much better. Others of course decide differently. But, until you've been doing this a bit and have gained an understanding of the different dynamics of being a company driver, verse lease verse a true owner op. Probably best wait on that kind of a decision.
    Anyway congrats on making it this far and glad it is going well for you!!

Trucker61016 and Solo Soul Thank this.
  8. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Consider getting your truck from someone other than where you get your loads from. Lots of searchable discussion on that topic in old threads on this forum. Companies have been known to mess around with leases and loads and get themselves free trucks at owner ops expense. But they have no way to do that if you get your truck from someone else.

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I would highly discourage you from taking that avenue... They may make it sound all Sunny and Roses, but many, many, MANY drivers that jump into those type of programs to soon ultimately fail and end up hating anything even remotely related to trucking. I know at least 1 driver that lost his house and then his marriage over a failed L/P. Just a word of caution.

10. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Keep up the good work driver it’s great to hear !!!! Keep on truckin

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.