First Week with FedEx

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by teddy_bear6506, Mar 12, 2010.

1. teddy_bear6506

teddy_bear6506 I'm Vintage

May 23, 2009
    Between Valhalla and Hades
    I'm finishing my first full week with FedEx and I can't really complain. Even with sitting all last weekend, I got in 1,000 miles this week. I've done very little sitting and spent very little $$$. I was a little worried I might be sitting this weekend, but got a load last evening going from MI to PA for a Saturday a.m. delivery.

I'm hoping to get something again tomorrow to tide me over, but won't hold my breath for it.

The worst thing I've noticed is that I need to get headed west toward home to get rid of things I don't need, and pick up stuff that I do need. So far, I just keep getting farther east.

My boss is great, and I don't think I could have made a better choice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    TB,

You are an expediter right? What are the conditions like? Is it you go into places most tractor trailers would not, what type of equipment are you driving, do you pay for fuel? I would like to know more about your first week if you do not mind sharing.

KH

4. GMC General

GMC General Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Best of luck to you glad things are working out

5. skipon11

skipon11 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Jamestown,Pa.
    In the past when I was with FedEx CC most of the time was spent in the East but you will get sent West sooner or later. Really glad to hear you are doing that well that is good for a B unit so you are definately doing things right. I'm sure you'll see bigger weeks and smaller ones as well.
    You seem intelligent enough you are most likely doing like I did. I used to love to meet up with other CC drivers so I could pick there brains for Info you just have to watch out for the negative ones.But you can still gather useful info from them as well,like the busiest and slowest Express centers.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  6. teddy_bear6506

May 23, 2009
    I'm in a 2002 Ford cargo van. I go the same places the big trucks go, I just have to back to the ramps or bays and a forklift unloads me. I pay for my own fuel, but it is figured into the pay for the load. The van is cramped, no room to stand up straight, but I'm getting more used to it. Once I get a system figured out as to how I want it set up, it will be much better.

Most of my load offers come in between noon and 5:00 p.m. My longest load was from Lowell MI to Johnsonburg PA. I loaded at 9 p.m. in MI and delivered at 7:00 a.m. in PA.

They are working out very well for me. I'm enjoying the work a great deal.

I've only talked to 2 other drivers while I've been out. One was with Panther and he was very helpful. The other was with Prestige (I believe) and he was negative about everything.

I met another driver this weekend while at the shop, and he works for the same fleet owner as I do. He was such a HUGE help to me. He is a good friend of the fleet owner and he is going to be a "mentor" of sorts, to me. I got very lucky, IMHO.

The hubby's brother passed away and I was going to deadhead home from IN, but the friend who was there said if any loads came in that would head me closer to home, he would refuse so I could have it. The next morning, we both got a call and he came to tell me it was all my load. I consider myself blessed to have met such a great person and have him as a "mentor".

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm glad things are working out for you. Sorry to hear about your brother in law.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  8. teddy_bear6506

May 23, 2009
    I got lucky on the way home. I was just getting to Davenport IA when dispatch called to see if I could pick up a load there going to Burlington IA. This worked out perfect for me as it was almost the exact route I was taking home.

I really hated having to refuse a 600 plus mile load yesterday, but they called just as we were leaving the funeral. It picked up in Lincoln NE in 3 hours and I wasn't at home or packed and ready to go. I wanted that load so bad. Now I'm sitting at home just waiting for another call so I can get back out.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. alex94

alex94 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    good ol CG
    i am not an expediter so i dont know for sure and this may be one of the dumbest questions ever but do you stay in a hotel when out on the road? and i hope you can find a load out of home soon. keep us all posted. be safe and good luck

10. skipon11

skipon11 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Jamestown,Pa.

I don't think you ask me but I can answer hope no one minds. We sleep in the truck except rare times when we can afford a Motel.

JustSonny and teddy_bear6506 Thank this.
  11. teddy_bear6506

May 23, 2009
    I always stay in my van. I have a bunk in there that I sleep in. On rare occasions I get back to the fleet owners shop and he has rooms set up above his shop for the drivers. When there, I stay in a room.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.