First Writeup in trucking (falsifying logs)

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Haula**, May 6, 2020.

1. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Many would give their left #@* for that lane!

AfterShock and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

4800-5000 miles each week, as a solo or team? First there is no way a solo will do that every week and be anywhere near legal, and I realize some people don't give a #### about that. Second, you will burn out on that run quickly. How many trucks and customers does your uncle have? What is the realistic outlook that this customer will continue long term, and what other customers are there? One of the hardest things to do can be to work for friends or family. Sometimes it works out, most of the time issues arise and stress and resentment builds and can last for years.

As for the ELD situation write up a paper log to cover those days, noting ELD malfunction on each page, and submit that.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  4. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    2018 KW T680

5. Haula**

Haula** Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018
    He’s a small operation out of Cali. 15 trucks on the road.

I was wondering about that if it would be possible to get back and forth in the same 7-8 day period with the 70. Running solo.

ungovered truck but of course I’d do the speed limit. Not sure how tough the Rockies are on the I-10 corridor. I’ve driven them in CO, UT, WY, and ID just not sure what the southern end is like.

Of course he’ll have ELDs as well. Even if I had to stop and do my reset on the way back. I’d probably be in NM or AZ somewhere.

I’d definitely have to trip plan and time things right so that I’m not coming through Phoenix, El Paso, San Antonio, and Houston during rush hour.

Past Houston should be smooth sailing to Jacksonville.

6. longhaultransport

longhaultransport Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    Solo, I would probably do it, especially if it was a steady run for the foreseeable future. If that truck has a Studio Sleeper I would definitely do it.

A lot of people wouldn't though, running the same route week in and week out is not for everyone.

I like it, get in a rhythm and make the money.

Dale thompson, Haula** and magoo68 Thank this.
  7. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    I love the idea of filling out paper logs noting inoperable/malfunctioning ELD. Sign make copies for your company.

Running the same run week after week is an absolute "pain". We have done it for years and know exactly where every stop is, where we can get the good food, when we're going to arrive, what favors people still owe us from the last time we were there, etc etc etc.

And then the money is consistent! Hmmmmmm..... Actually, it's kinda awesome.

8. longhaultransport

longhaultransport Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    Just wanted to say, exactly.

9. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    That's correct.

But you can change on duty to drive, which is what the OP needs to edit.

10. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Per the ELD rules, you CAN still edit drive time on Omnitracs/Qualcomm. But you cannot "un-drive" a truck. For instance, everyone should have a "shop" account for mechanics. If a driver forgets to log out and the shop drives the truck it will show up as drive time for the driver. I showed a customer yesterday how to edit the driver's drive line by taking that driving away from him and moving it to the mechanic. I also have had teams where they forgot to switch drivers and the driving went to the wrong driver. So it is simple to edit the drive time over to the correct driver.

So, I'm just clarifying that drive time can still be edited but it can't "go away." If the truck moved, then it needs to be assigned to somebody. But it can be taken away from your log if you weren't the one who moved it.

11. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I work with units and even when the driver has certified something accidentally, it can be changed. Me, I would have talked to the driver to see what happened, verified and then adjusted the log to have him re-certify it if everything lined up accurately. It is to cover their butt if they get audited but it is a choice as to how they handle it. The only time I ever wrote up a driver for his logs was when he blatantly and against my advice, on paper logs, went over his HOS for no reason. That was over a year ago. We talked about it and I really thought he was going to be mad at me but he wasn't.

Sounds like the other job has more benefits to it than having to deal with some strange issues that could have been fixed with a bit more communication.

Glad things worked out for you and good luck!

AfterShock, alds, 25(2)+2 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.