Fixing the Issue

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by PVITALE46, Jul 24, 2019.

1. PVITALE46

PVITALE46 Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2019
    I am new to the industry as my last post stated but I have obtained a lot next to a Flying J and want to hear you alls opinion .
    Do you guys run into a lot of areas where someone has opened their own parking lot next to the big chains? And if so are they usually full? Do they Charge? What necessities do they have? Bathroom, convenience store, etc?

Also what states charge the highest rates for parking?

NJ, New York, Massachusetts, Virginia, California, Maryland, etc?

Thanks again. Really appreciate it everyone!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Some of these big professional lots can be pretty expensive because they have to carry high liability insurance. Even though they have cameras everywhere, someone could put a dent in your truck without being noticed until you get back. Maybe their tapes only go back 7 days. So then they're responsible for the damage to your truck.

There's one here in Oklahoma that charges $10 a night, no monthly discount. There's another place that is part of a shop lot and they charge $120 a month but it's park at your own risk.

I once parked in a lot that was on some extra land a guy had and laid down gravel on it. Someone there smashed my APU somehow (?) and nobody took responsibility.

4. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    I would think long and hard....I've thought about the same thing,BUT you are no longer dealing with the "good ole boy" truckers you will be dealing with steering wheel holders most of the time (truck drivers in my youth) that dont give 2 farts about YOUR land.
    I've never jumped at it because unfortunately the few ruin it for the majority.
    Please no body take me wrong most of those types aren't here anyway, I have thought about an actual TRUCK STOP however but the above ruins everytime.

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    You may want to check the zoning on that land. If it was worthwhile, might the J have purchased it for additional parking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.