Flapping tarps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, Jan 10, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Whats with all the flapping tarps,?? ive seen atleast 6 or 7 flatbedders in the past 3 days thats got crazy flapping tarps and its always the backside... i know the front and back is the hardest to bungee up but to me it looks like these guys did not even try especially when they all have been nice square loads it should be easy... I just always thought its counter intuitive to be lazy and be a flatbedder. I try to get them over the cb and none of them ever responded , i figure they look out they mirrors more than once a day but i guess not lol should be easy to see the back of ur tarp flapping in the wind like parachute if u look at ur mirrors but i guess thats to much work for some ppl... I sure wish if i ever have a flapping tarp somebody would let me know before i shredded it to pieces and looked like a big dummy in the process

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Get their attention and then just shake your head exaggeratedly.

Grubby, Tug Toy, pmdriver and 2 others Thank this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Good reasons why driver's hate tarping.

Aamcotrans, Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Lol Yea tarping isnt fun but id rather do it right the first time instead of having to fix it every 50 miles or having to replace it because it flaps and then rips to shreds

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    They halfway tarp their loads. They have way to much air going up under the tarp. Some places will ticket for that

Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    They are former door slammers who said, hey there is more money in flat bed! But they still have their lazy slob ways.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Sometimes you cant see the back flapping.

Tug Toy, cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Some people just simply don't know HOW to tarp. They've never been taught. They buy a truck, trailer & a tarp & that's all they know. You cant just throw a tarp on there & pull it down with 10 tarp straps (bungie cords) & expect it not to flop around.

10. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Years ago I pulled in over around Seattle to load a machine coming back towards the house. I pull into the place and theres a flatbed tarping a 7 or 8 foot tall load of boxes on pallets.

I asked the forklift guy, "dam man, wouldn't it have been way easier and safer to just load that stuff in a van trailer?"

Forklift guy: "yeah we usually do, but here lately it's way cheaper to ship it on a flatbed."

Man I felt sorry for that flatbed driver. He couldn't even walk across the top of the load cause it would smash all the boxes in. I have no idea how he secured them. I chained my load and got out

Grubby, Ruthless, wore out and 5 others Thank this.
  11. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Are you saying more goes into a job than just having the tools?

Highway Sailor, Ruthless, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.