Flat bedding--- the pros, the cons?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by steadfasttrucker, Dec 6, 2014.

1. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    Yeah, but then i suppose we all have to accept the consequences for our own actions.

[​IMG]

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    My last load, i loaded in Acheson, Ab....was right at 48 ft long, and just tall enough to need 8ft drop tarp. Not counting strapping, it took about 45 minutes to tarp. At the consignee it took about 40 to untarp. All together it took 85 minutes, and i got paid 50 bucks extra in tarp pay. Not too bad. As far as tarping being dirty, i just try to shower daily.

jdmredneck33 Thanks this.
  4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    You get to haul some cool ####! If you look under the tarp I may have to kill you.... :smt066 :Excavator: :Wheeled tractor: :Catterpillar tracto :Bulldozer: :Road roller: :Casualty helicopter

5. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I get great satisfaction out of securing cargo and not having it move and the responsibility flatbedders have. Oh and MrEd, I take a shower once a month whether I think I need it or not.

steadfasttrucker Thanks this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    The pros of running a flat bed.

When Joe Bob and Bubba Jr and the rest of the super truckers are yacking away about some inane drivel while you are trying to eat dinner, and Joe Bob turns to you and says, aint that right driver.....You get to say, well don't know nothing about slamming doors and all that, I run a flat bed.......That usually stops them from talking and the waitress gives you a free slice of the fresh pie.

Almost all the other drivers (except other flat bed drivers (they know)) think your insane.
    Specially when you pull into the truck stop in Bizmark, ND with a sweet tarp job and it's -44 degrees outside.

The Cons of running a flat bed.

Most people think you are insane and wont talk to you.

7. *Five-0*

*Five-0* Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Hey...I'm over here!
    I think quite a few people would put this in the 'pro' column... :biggrin_25511:

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

^ that plus not having to watch the door slammer next to you clean the nose off your truck trying to get off his dock -_-

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Pros-less driving, more money, doing something besides holding the wheel.

Cons- .....can't think of any at the moment. Probably the times you get some fool loading you that can't quite get it right the first time, or the second or third and you have to start barking bc they are about to squeeze your full fenders, or bumping the side of your trailer.

jdmredneck33 Thanks this.
  10. steadfasttrucker

steadfasttrucker Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2014
    South, Florida
    Is the loading /unloading process typically faster? easier to coordinate? Less backing vs dry van or reefer? any less squeezing the trailer in tight spots?
    Thanks again.

11. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    I honestly wouldn't know I haven't really pulled anything but a deck

zenaddler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.