Flat or step Conestoga

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GYPSY65, Oct 6, 2022.

1. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I know this question comes up all the time and I’ve actually given My $1 worth of input but now it’s become a decision I need to make

I have a 53’ flat Conestoga that was blew over from the hurricane
    It looks like the insurance company is going to total it. I think he said the frame looks twisted or bent

I can order a new one but it’s over a year out to spec my own

I was able to grab a slot on a build from my salesman for a new 2023 from a recent cancellation on a totally loaded 53’ step. Show type loaded stainless etc with a kit that’s scheduled to be built in the next week or two for $119,000 out the door

I have a big bunk truck that weighs 22,600 and I’m guessing this step will be 14,000 per salesman so with gear probably 17k

My flat was spec’d by me to have a 104” inside height which was a great move but I’ve never pulled a step

My guess. Grab the step. If I don’t like it I’m sure it would sell easily and would buy me time to either order one

Am I thinking correctly or will a step Conestoga be an issue staying loaded

I see a lot of big bunks with steps so I’m guessing the height and Conestoga does well even with the limited weight ability

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Depends of what you like to haul.
    Conestoga means bye bye to oversize loads.
    But not having to tarp in the winter sounds nice.

4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    What do you typically haul the most?

5. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    All sorts of stuff but not a ton that really requires dock height or that’s very heavy
    A lot of machines etc but that could change if I ever go to a different company
    May look harder at running plane engines although some hate that while others live it and that might just be due to a small number do that and maybe the love hate percentage is the same number percent with larger carriers

As mentioned. I pull and have pulled a Conestoga for the past 9 years
    Just a flat but being able to get this step so soon and no flats available it might be all that I can do for even if temporary until I decide and order a flat??

I don’t do oversized or tarp so those aren’t issues

I know it’s a very specific type question but was just wonder if anyone pulling a step Conestoga had any pros or cons about their choice

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Sounds like it will be a sweet trailer. I doubt you will have a hard time moving it if you decide to go back to a flat. Who’s kit is going on it?

MartinFromBC and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    MartinFromBC, GYPSY65 and pavrom Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Looks like you are getting low pro step ( if inside height is 104 ) .
    119 sounds way expensive ... Maybe im wrong ...
    I run spot market , no issues staying loaded ... It also depends on dispatch , we dont sit and wait for the loads , normally have next load before me or driver unloaded .... even in this market
    I gave up on oversize and tarping because of restrictions on driving time and wasted time for tarp ( i am reloading every day , if you run cross country - totally different story .. plus all weekends i am home )
    Ps : my flat conestoga is sitting since august , still undecided what i want to do with it ... Probably sell

9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ... i am scaling 32.5 with my step and t660

MartinFromBC and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  10. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Eagle
    Has air release and tighten for front and rear of kit. No cranking ( I have it now but just in the front)
    Stainless bulkhead. Rails. 4 stainless boxes etc
    Guy who spec’d it went all out but changed to rgn and I just happened to call my salesman right after all that took place

MartinFromBC, Goodysnap and Ruthless Thank this.
  11. GYPSY65

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I know there’s a ton of extras on this.
    I just got a bid for replacement of my quick draw kit on my 53’ flat for the insurance and my kit now is $23k the new is a Reitnouer which is what I have now.
    He did something with the build to eliminate all the Hanley side rail supports so the sides will be flat like a Mac. Or actually any other

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.