flat vs van for a rookie?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by beancounter, Sep 5, 2009.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    There is times I would give my left arm for a sloped hood that turns within a football field radius. :biggrin_2559: Just about every job site I hit anyway..:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    *simply takes names for the "no cookie" list*

4. beancounter

beancounter Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Greenville, MI
    Thank you for the input so far. I've been leaning towards 'boards, just wasn't sure if that would put me at an advantage or disadvantage startin out. Now for a company. I WAS looking into TMC 'til I started reading on here. Looking into Roehl now. Any other suggestions for a place with a good income/
    hometime balance?

5. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    Look into Mavrick.

6. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas

Its all part of lookin' good my friend. :biggrin_2559:

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Lookin good is fine while running down the road... not practical at some job sites...:biggrin_2559:

8. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    Awww now driver lol

9. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Beancounter, what was it you read on here that changed your mind about TMC? I'm considering TMC myself and have read the good and the bad. To be honest, for me anyway, all the good with TMC far outweighs the bad comments from the guys who couldn't cut it. For me, the biggest problem with TMC would be the same problem with any flatbed company. That is the hard work. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not afraid of any hard work and I'm more than willing to take the chance. It's just that I'm not exactly the biggest guy around. In my opinion, I think the key here will be the same as it is with any company, whether it is flatbed, van, reefer, or tanker: attitude. With a can-do attitude, you can accomplish anything. I may be scared as hell getting into this, or any other outfit, flat or van, but I have a can-do attitude and I believe I can do this. Ok, enough rambling now. Carry on.

10. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    You don't have to be a big ol' boy to run a skateboard. Yeah those tarps are heavy as hell. More often than not you can get someone to lift them up with a forklift. 9.9 times out of 10 that will work out for ya. The chains and binders aren't all that heavy. And don't worry about not being able to strap your load down tight enough, you have a pretty good sized bar to tighten them up. Tarping will get easier with time. At first it may look like a pile of spaghetti with tarp straps everywhere but soon you'll have it all even and pretty with perfect x's or z lines. Pay attention to what they teach you on load securement and make it stick! You'll do just fine.

11. beancounter

beancounter Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Greenville, MI
    Thanks for the tip on Maverick. However, I was reading in an older post that they don't hire east of Charlotte, NC and I'm right on I-95. Do you know if this is still the case there. I'd love to look into them more, but I thought I'd be wasting my time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.