Flatbed and detention/waiting

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wespipes, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Lol, Norfolk is the longest for me unless I happen to hit Baltimore 30 minutes before or after their “lunch”.
    I only go to those because of the rates I get..

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Thats why I never load in Norfolk unless im empty the day before so I can go to Charlies and get up in the morning and load 1st thing.....

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  4. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    7,000 to run a 15k load to perrysburg Ohio and I don’t mind sitting an hour or two..

feldsforever and nikmirbre Thank this.
  5. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I have left after seeing a shippers attitude. I have no patience for people wasting my time. I’ve left ####ty shippers more times then I can count, I will go home empty before I’m docked around. Like what was previously stated tho if I see they are actually working and the load is paying good, I wait. If people are ####ing off, nobody to be found, taking breaks, ####ty attitude. I’m gone

konfidential and theSoz Thank this.
  6. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    What do you tell the brokers you just signed a contract to haul the load for? Seems like saying "I got mad after two hours of not seeing people work hard enough, so I left. #### our contract, RandomBroker." Won't get you very far in business?

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    What about the US Marshals? Surely you left that part out on accident?

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I don't do, "all in" rates. Tonu and detention negotiated and put in writing before truck is dispatched or I don't haul it. I hear...and say, "no"...ALOT but I'd rather sit at home before getting screwed hundreds of miles away. Before I operated that way I've left quite a few loads sitting and made several threats to place the freight in storage or return back to Shipper. In my experience, it's best to avoid those situations though and have it all worked out in writing ahead of time.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If your bouncing all over the country it's hard to avoid that because you don't know the places your going to. If running the same lanes I'd only pull out of that place once and never come back.

3 on my list are P&G shippensburg, Buzzottos and Hannaford Bros

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Make a " #### you list" it will get quite long unfortunatly . this list is reserved for people that waste your time and money.

11. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Most brokers have actually understood. Sureway put me on there don’t load list for a while, managed to live without them until 2018 when they couldn’t live without me. Some brokers have offered more money, and I was just honest and said if I can’t get x amount of money there’s no point in sitting here waiting. There’s a shipper right by my house and the main broker has some really great rates on the stuff, I’m talking $8 plus a mile on legal light loads no tarp, I’ve learned tho if you aren’t 1 of the first trucks there it’s a 4 plus hour wait. They will pay detention after 2 it’s just 1 of them places that sucks for sitting. I’ve left there before and the broker still works with me to this day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.