Flatbed as a license endorsement

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Treefork, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well I'm fixing to dive into skateboardin' sence this pipe dream, I mean tank thing ain't going any where for me, so if we happen to cross paths and I'm doing something wrong then by all means. I've always had my ears open to the words of the wise men. A lot of the old wise saying's and knowledge is whats kept my butt from becoming a major screw up in my teen years and just for this, thats what I'm gonna be thankful for this thanksgiving along with my family. :yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    There shouldn't be a need for publications, pictures, or videos. All there needs to be is responsible people, period. People that at the companies that provided the training on securing loads. I would say that maybe the government needs to mandate that, however, if people were responsible it would not be necessary. The perspective driver must demonstrate they know how to properly secure loads, before they're allowed to drive. Not just some "mentor", or trainer, but a good solid training program. I would think it would also help with the carrier's insurance.

When I started on this road to truck driving I wanted to run flatbed. I don't know a darn thing about it. The company my brother works at, I could go out there probably tomorrow and start driving. I won't, because there is no training on securing loads, other than what a driver will show you. So I researched, and subsequently set my sights on TMC. Why? Because from what I found they have a solid program teaching how to secure loads. This comes not only from their website, and them, but from what experienced drivers who drive for them. I'm not sure about Maverick, or Keim, the latter I think is just using the driver/trainer to show you. Now if you're out with a trainer for 20 days or even 6 weeks, how many different load situations are you going to come across? I think with a training program they can cover most all the various types of securement you will be exposed to, lumber, flat steel, and especially coils. If you can't demonstrate in training that you can secure the loads, bye-bye, been nice.

I really would like to run flatbed, but I will not, unless someone can provide training on the proper ways to do this. I'm smart enough to know that, if you don't do it right, someone can die.

Don't want Uncle Sam telling you how to secure loads, ie; endorsement, then convince your carriers to pull their heads out of their back sides and do it themselves so it convinces Uncle Sam he's not needed or wanted!! Just my .02 worth...

4. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Training occurs at several flatbed carriers but im not worried about them, im worried about the person with no flatbedding experience running under their own authority (or someone else's). They have and get no training and usually dont have all the equipment needed. Any good flatbedder (several on this board) can name off a ton of stuff they carry and different ways to secure a load as sometimes there are several variations. I personally started with a flatbedding company and got good basic training that I still use to this day, even when I am faced with a specialty piece that there is no training for, just good experience and my phone a friend option. A good flatbedder that has been doing flatbedding for 20 yrs is a very valuable tool to have. There is no training or publications at the company I work for as they only take experienced, safe O/O's but Im sure they could use some.

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  5. Mic

Mic Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Sheldon,IA
    Tree, you need to chase that Good Idea Fairy out of your truck...I wouldn't give the government yet another reason to crawl up my ### about something...It is a good Idea..but #### its just asking for trouble..

6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    And they say the best ideas occur in the shower. Seems like it's more so in the truck!

7. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Maybe this guys onto something...Maybe they should have a container endorsement and a reefer endorsement and a wooden floor endorsement and a 48 footer endorsement and side skirts endorsement and a liftgate endorsement and a single axle endorsement and a 65mph+ endorsement and a long hood endorsement and a grassburner exhaust endorsement and a DEF endorsement and a jake brake endorsement and a cb radio endorsement and an air bags endorsement and a glad hand seal replacement expert endorsement....

Coming to a California near you.:biggrin_25513:

8. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    You hit the nail on the head! Where does it stop?

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  9. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    Not one single person reading this can HONESTLY say this isn't a good idea. Wouldn't you feel better knowing that the driver passing your family on the road at least had to be tested to get an endorsement on his CDL to haul the load he has strapped to his trailer? You'd be amazed at the number of guys out there that don't have the proper training. You're so hung up on the government digging in your pocket that you're missing the point.

10. volvodriver01

volvodriver01 Road Train Member

Already pull flatbed so shouldn't have to get an endorsement to prove I know what I am doing. All this is going to do is cost drivers more money to run down the roads..

11. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    You forgot how to dress for the job endorsement. This one alone would weed out 10% of the drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.