flatbed driving: for guys only?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Sadiepete, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Sadiepete

Sadiepete Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    West Tennessee
    I posted same topic in the newbie section by mistake. Just wondering if there were any women driving flatbeds who would tell me if the 105 lb + tarps give them any trouble.

Thanks,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    That's what guys driving forklifts are for. Mine only weigh 65 pounds, but I still don't throw them on top of my load, by myself.

SHC, Logan76, Sadiepete and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    That's a perfect world Autocar, I've had operators just flat out tell me they didnt have time to mess with my tarps...

5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I'm not a woman, but I will tell you this that when you're new at flatbed you often ask other drivers for tips or help. I don't care if you're 6'6" and 300 lbs. Most old time flatbedder's are real good about helping out younger guys, and I can only imagine they'd be even more thrilled to help a woman or offer advice.

I would also tell you that personally I do not see many instances where you need an incredible amount of upper body strength to perform duties. I have some trouble with balance and agility getting up on loads, and I have some trouble with stamina, I get winded rolling up my tarps. There's probably plenty of women who would be way better at that stuff than I am, and I'm man enough to admit it. go for it !

6. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    several women flatbed, but as said the forklift drivers put the tarps up on the load,

7. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    I have a simple method, they can help me get the tarp on top, I'll spread it, or they can get the load back off of my trailer. I do not play games! I am not payed to risk unnecessary injury.
    I do have a safety department that WILL back me, on that.

keepntruckin and Logan76 Thank this.
  8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    That's when you tell them they can make the time to take the load off the truck then cause it's not gonna get tarped. I'll throw my four footers around, but the six footers they can put them up on the load or it ain't getting tarped. I am more than capable of doing it, but don't want to risk a back injury and be forced to get out of this segment of the industry.

The Challenger, NWMAXI and Logan76 Thank this.
  9. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    that is a good stance to take autocar, as for the tarps weight, the only tarp ive had weight over 100lbs was a pup tarp when i pulled maxi's it was an 8' drop with flap at both ends and that thing was heavy

10. Sadiepete

Sadiepete Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    West Tennessee
    Good advice, thanks. I appreciate all of you weighing in on this.

11. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    My wife drove her own flatbed for awhile and I know two other women who do it. They are both hard workers. Plus there was a girl by the name of dieselgrl that is on the board here that drives flatbed, not sure if shes still around.

Sadiepete Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.