flatbed driving: for guys only?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Sadiepete, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    That is not a problem caused by being female. That is a problem caused by doing it wrong. There are plenty of maimed and dead male drivers to attest to that fact.

aiwiron and Bumpy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Very true statement there..I was in N.J. five years ago taking chains off the WRONG way (wasn't thinking) and the pipe I was using on the chain binders hit me in the forehead (luckily) as although it was a "bloody screamer" if it would have hit me in the eye or teeth they certainly would not be with me now..

Technique as with most things is everything.. I would strongly suggest to anyone who is doing ANYTHING new to pay attention to what other's have to say.. And to not be thinking about the Playboy material woman in the guard shack when unsecuring load.:biggrin_255:

4. Sadiepete

Sadiepete Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    West Tennessee
    we've got McElroy coming to the school tomorrow. They are a much smaller company, but they are only flatbeds. I'm going to head over to Loves or Pilot this weekend and see if I can find a flatbed driver with a 120lb tarp.

5. BigRedBigRig

BigRedBigRig Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    The requirements are different for each company. TMC is the one who I know (now) makes you lift the 120 pound tarp. Don't believe the TMC recruiter if she says you only have to lift the 85 pound one.

Good luck!

6. wideload

wideload Heavy Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    i need to get my 8' drops off the top of the rack. have at it!! i csn get them up therr by myself but just barely. when i pick up my step they are going on the trl and wont be going up top again if i csn help it

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  7. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    My 8' are in the side boxes and stay their as much as possible

8. wideload

wideload Heavy Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    in the granny lane
    I am currently still pulling a van. at least for the next 3 days. I had nowhere else to put them unfortuntly. if I end up liking this flatbed gig I may need to buy a truck with more frame for some box's. on this KW with it's canadian wheelbase I have less then 18" between my tanks and quarter fenders. In fact my headboard has a deck plate built in to it and I had to remove the quarter fenders and lean them WAY back to fit the rack on

9. The Bird

The Bird Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    White Rock, NM
    2 piece, 8' drops for a 48' trailer often are over 100# a piece brand new. They only get heavier with age due to repeated patching. I had 2 piece, 53' - 8' drops for awhile and they were a beast. Any tarp with ice or water in it can easily reach over 100#.

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Leave them up there if you can. We have several customers that won't load you if you have anything on the deck.

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I rarely use my 8' I have two 4' drops that will cover a 48. Anything under 4' and I ain't touching those other heavy ########

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.