flatbed driving: for guys only?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Sadiepete, Sep 15, 2012.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Act like a professional and you have nothing to worry about. Most of today's flatbedders CAN'T lift their 8' drop tarps, so just because you have a different anatomy won't cause you any grief. As much as I hate the show and rarely watch it, I see how many here are completely enamored with Lisa on IRT, and that is a good thing for breaking stereotypes. A very good friend of mine has been doing this a long time. She now pulls triaxle RGN and is rarely under 100,000 pounds or 14' wide. Good luck

aiwiron and Sadiepete Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sadiepete

Sadiepete Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    West Tennessee
    Thanks~ never watched IRT, but once I watched a promotional video made at a shipyard and the person who drove the yard-dog was a Grandma! I thought that was pretty cool. At the time I was working in a freight brokerage and decided I'd rather be the one driving the truck than typing up the shipping docs, BOLs. I guess its all good. Anyone can be anything they want these days. I will give flatbeds a try.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Good luck to you

Sadiepete Thanks this.
  5. The Bird

The Bird Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    White Rock, NM
    Best of luck! Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us are eager to talk about what we know...whether you want to hear it or not. :)

Sadiepete Thanks this.
  6. amscontr

amscontr Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Illinois
    You'l be glad you did, flatbed/open trailer is the only way to go if you want to see a variety in trucking other then loading docks and warehouses. It's not easy work but a challenge you can be proud of going down the road with a cool load. Steel mills are a PITA sometimes but if the $$ is good it beat dealing with lumpers.
    Good Luck to Ya!

Sadiepete Thanks this.
  7. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    Heck, we even like to talk about stuff we have no idea about!

The Bird, Sadiepete and aiwiron Thank this.
  8. ColoradoGreen

ColoradoGreen Heavy Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Hell no. If any guy gives you grief just pick up your winch bar and that'll take care of it. Good luck.

Sadiepete and fortycalglock Thank this.
  9. Short Bus

Short Bus Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Nashport, Ohio
    That's one of the best statements I've read in a long time.. All the best to ya!

Sadiepete Thanks this.
  10. BigRedBigRig

BigRedBigRig Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    Are there any ladies here that have been to TMC's orientation? I think they ask you to lift a 120# tarp (from the ground to your shoulder) on the first day of orientation. And apparently they have a physical therapist make sure you're lifting properly with your legs.

I'm pretty sure I can lift it... but it would suck royally to ride a bus all the way to Iowa to find out on the first day that I can't deadlift the stupid tarp.

11. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Stop in at a truck stop and find a flatbedder. Ask them if they would let you lift their lumber tarps.

BigRedBigRig Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.