Flatbed Hauling fencing materials question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Gumper, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    First load is tomorrow. Hauling fencing materials on pallets. The broker said he doesn’t know how much of what, but generally it’s mixed with barbed wire, fence posts, etc... for a farm store. Does anyone have some tips for hauling his stuff? Beings as it’s my first O/O load I don’t want to go out and look like an idiot. I’m carrying 14 4” straps, 6 16’ chains, 6 20’ chains, binders of course, steel and carpet corner protectors, and tarps I don’t need for this load. Everything is on pallets.

whoopNride, Oxbow and Tug Toy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Fence loads can be fun...........

You may not want to use chain on this load. The products can and will move and settle.

Most likely all of the fabrics and related things will be on skids, and may be banded to the skid depending on product. Some may just be stacked with a sheet of corrugated between them. It should also be shrink wrapped. You may want To use V boards for the wire rolls and mesh products.
    The fence post will be easy.
    They should be in banded bundles on skids. They will be painted, so you may not want to use chains, some places get picky about that. Usually stack two high and two wide. Make sure they are tight together. If so, toss at least 2 or 3 ( alternate sides ) straps over top, and use carpet strips under straps. If you want, take a 2 in portable and choke the stacks.

You can make V boards out of 1X4s. 4 foot may be the best for the load. If you have some old cut straps, use them to make the V boards.

4. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I have 20 steel corner protectors, and a box full of 4x4 carpet squares. My trailer has 14 sliding winches. Hopefully that’s enough for straps. I’ll throw in some hand straps just in case.

I was told it’s a full 48,000. My truck and trailer is 31,040 with half a tank of fuel. Going to be close.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    I’ve done some fencing, mostly for hog farms and agriculture, none of the loads have been oversized.

Bring some good edge protectors and you’re probably gonna end up throwing everything you got at it save for chains — I was always told straps only.

It’s usually a heavy load for us, with bundles stacked seemingly wherever by the shipper. Try to get some layered straps mixed in, especially if they have gates stacked vertically. Belly strap if you absolutely need too.

If it’s a lot of barbed wire — felt padding is your friend. The posts are usually on pallets and banded together. Normally the simplest and least worrisome part of the entire load. It’s the fence and gate that will concern you the most depending on how they load them. They should band them together. However, they might be stacked vertically and as mentioned above — they’ll settle.

whoopNride, TripleSix, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Biggest hurdle will be protecting the straps. They often like to rub on things in the wind. Make sure the contact points are covered with something (could be a piece of cardboard even) and you put a half twist in the strap on any one that has a gap between it and the load so it doesn't flap going down the road.

Tug Toy and Gumper Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Yep...better get some more straps. The fence is rolled, shrink wrapped, and stacked on pallets. The load is going to shift. Opie, you’re going to need nearly 30 straps for a 53 ft load, double stacked of chain link fence. Strap down the bottom layer separately.

whoopNride, Oxbow and stwik Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Uggggg! What a horrible first load. Well at least it’s all yours.

Congratulations on your first load!

Diesel Dave, Oxbow, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    It’s 16’ fence panels. Not at all what I expected but it was probably easier to strap down.

10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Luckily it snowed and was 14* for my first one.
    72E2A19D-B987-4AB1-BE74-177E04A5E093.jpeg

11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    That’s not so bad? I was thinking it was a load like those other guys were thinking too. Like a ladder load or a Menards or Home Depot load. They flat suck!!!

Now get it delivered Driver! You got another to go get!

shogun, stwik, whoopNride and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.